new to the forums, new to the mac!

C

conformnow

I work as techsupport for the TWC Roadrunner National Help Desk and after troubleshooting both Windows and Mac computers all day I was impressed with how little troubleshooting was required for the Mac. So when I was looking into getting a new computer I decided to look at what Apple had to offer. Just to wet my feet I bought a iMac G3 w/ 512mb RAM and liked that enough to decide to invest in a shiny new intel mac.

I decided to go with the white Macbook 2.0ghz as my new investment because my focus was on productivity applications and the Macbook striked a balance between power and portability without the need for a fast 3d graphics card because I've mostly grown out of my gaming phase, and I figure I'll buy a Mac Pro as well as a gaming console in the future anyway.

I was really impressed with both the amount of applications that are bundled with the OS and all the great free software thats available..the community for Macs is really dedicated to the best user experience and I have made the switch and will never go back! Programs like quicksilver, virtuedesktops, and parallels have notably increased my productivity.

I continue to be amazed at the usability of the Mac OS and cringe when using Windows now, and I promote macs to any of my customers who are at their wit's end with their Windows based PC. My productivity has increased tenfold and I actually find it enjoyable to use a computer again, which has been a long time coming. I've definately been bitten by the Apple bug and check daily on a slew of mac sites to see what Mr.Jobs will come up with next!

Anyway, enough rambling, just figured I'd introduce myself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Welcome to M-F

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Welcome aboard the community here at Mac Forums, if you require any help or would like to drop feedback on anything you have accured please do.

Its good to see that you have converted.. i for one am converting even tho i used to swear by Windows and was studying a MCSE course! what a mistake.

Anyhow welcome dude

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Welcome the forums, for the most part this is a very helpful and close knit community. You will feel welcome here, don't feel bad about asking us a question if ou have one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
PowerBookG4 said:
Welcome the forums, for the most part this is a very helpful and close knit community. You will feel welcome here, don't feel bad about asking us a question if ou have one.

Just make sure you do a search before asking it. ;]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
exactly, normally i warn that too, but this time i forgot, my bad. I can not stress enough how important it is for you to search before you post, most people don't like answering the same questions 10 times a week, it gets boring, most questions you will have as a switcher will be easily found with the search function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
PowerBookG4 said:
exactly, normally i warn that too, but this time i forgot, my bad. I can not stress enough how important it is for you to search before you post, most people don't like answering the same questions 10 times a week, it gets boring, most questions you will have as a switcher will be easily found with the search function.

I should neg rep you just for forgetting to warn a new member about the search function. :batman:

Reaction score
Welcome.
there's a lot to learn and a lot of the people here know enough to teach you.

i've learned a lot.

OP
C

conformnow

Considering I do tech support on computers all day I just read up on different mac websites (including the forums) to learn more. That's just the way I learn..because I know that if I'm thinking of a question, someone else probably already has thought of it before. I'm completely comfortable in OSX too and I've already tweaked it much to my liking. Gotta buy Parallels though, great product, running WinXP (more to show other people that I can, than anything..I don't really have much use for it) and Ubuntu Linux. By the way, if anyone here likes the Star Control games do a search for The Ur-Quan Masters..the original makers of the game decided to re-release the 3DO version onto PC/Mac and it's a great classic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.