iPhoto 5 won't share movie clips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
In iPhoto in my main user account, I have a smart folder that contains all movie clips in my iPhoto collection. They were taken with my digital camera in .avi format and they all appear and play perfectly. However, when I view this folder in iPhoto in another user account, the folder name appears but the movies do not. I've even converted a couple clips from .avi to MPEG4 using a file converter and I still can't see them. What gives - why can I share photos and not movie clips?

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Hmmm ... I guess I must be expecting too much from iPhoto 5 concerning movie clip support and playback. Perhaps someone has a good suggestion about how to get my movie clips to play across user accounts and networked computers using another application or technique? I'm stumped!

Reaction score
Hi iWish, I don't store .avi's in iPhoto I store them in my Movie folder.

Unless I'm mistaken, to share they need to be in:

Your HD name:Users:Shared

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh! I was so glad for your suggestion, so I copied my movies to the Shared folder, went to the user account, clicked the Shared folder there, and ... when I click on one of the movie files, I'm told "Error: cannot open file".

I'm starting to get really bummed about this ... not for your suggestion, which is great, but about what to do next.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.