About to switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Hi, I'm about to do the switch I have some general questions and I'm sorry if they have been answered all before

1)
I'll be buying an iMac either a 20" or 24" I've read that the 24" will be practically be HD quality is this the same for the 20" iMac ?

2)
Will my wireless Cannon Pixma printer still work with the PC's I have and with the iMac (At the moment It's conected wireless to my lap top and via usb to my old staionary)

3)
I use Opera 9.01 to surf with and send mail (I had Firefox on my ststionary until Thunderbird lost all my mail) Is Opera still a good choice with Mac ?

Thanks for bearing with me

Reaction score
A computer screen won't have HD at affordable prices anytime soon. HD resolutions are so high, a monitors couple of thousand by thousand pixels won't do.

The screens in all new iMacs are the same, just different sizes.

Above incorrect, sorry.

Canon Pixma will work fine. Canon makes products that go well with Apple.

Opera is available and a good choice for the Mac, albeit you might want to check out Safari which has some great features of it's own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sorry Yogi, going to have to disagree with you there...

"HD" is basically a buzzword for 2 new video resolution standards: 720 & 1080.

720 is 1280x720 pixels and 1080 is 1920 × 1080 pixels.

The new 24" iMac can display 1920x1200 pixels, so it can display "full HD" video.
The 20" iMac can only display 720p HD videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
*Agrees with AptMunich.

Technically, any monitor that can display 1920 x 1080 is "High Definition".

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of DVDs that are in HD. To watch "true HD" you need a source that was HD, a bus/line that can carry the signal, and a display that can display it.

All of those together are hard and expensive to get.

Reaction score
This is interesting... our lcoal TV channels plans to broadcast HD in 2008. If Elgato releases a HD-enabled box by then that's somewhat affordable, I should be able to enjoy HD right away (20" iMac G5)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep - you'll be able to watch 720p broadcasts, but not 1080p. But I don't think anyone is broadcasting at that resolution (1080p) anyway, as the bandwidth requirements are so high, so you'll be able to enjoy 720p resolutions just fine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in here for a second....

Well I'm not the most knowledgable person when it comes to things of this nature so here it goes.

It looks like you guys are saying that iMac G5s can play HD. Howcome iTunes movie store does not offer better quality videos? By better quality I mean ones that have great quality when played full screen...

Also I have watched a couple of DVDs on my iMac and it was very grainy and definately not good quality. What is that about? If the iMac can play HD why can't it play dvd quality?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz
digital john said:
It looks like you guys are saying that iMac G5s can play HD. Howcome iTunes movie store does not offer better quality videos? By better quality I mean ones that have great quality when played full screen...

Bandwidth

But now since they've moved up to 640x480 there should be a significant change in quality when played at fullscreen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Besides, the movie studios would never jump on the iTunes Store if they feared they would cannibalize DVD sales, as that is their largest stream of revenue.

They would however like to sell you the DVD and another copy for your iPod, hence the 'almost DVD quality'.

Reaction score
That's one reason why Apple is pressed to offer such horrible pricing.

For many people, DVD extras don't matter, therefore if offered the chance of just buying the film for a muc better price, they'd grab it. But the margin in price is so small, many people will still opt for a DVD rather than the iTS.

Of course, this is contradictory to what sales figures of the first week are telling, but it will flatten out. I personally enjoy putting in a DVD and browsing the menu and stuff. I need language options etc. A MPEG file doesn't give me that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.