• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut Pro & HD also IMAC or PowerMAC??

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Right time to get preaching for all of you as i am a PC user looking to move to a MAC! I had a real long look through the apple website at Final Cut Pro and it look seriously good! I also like how the Mac looks and its performance specs.
I have been doing films for a while now have footage broadcast on websites and DVD's. I have been using Pinnacle and its all well and good for DV footage but just dies at High Definition.
So i guess what im looking for is some more convincing that getting a mac and using final cut is a good idea!?!

Also, being completely new to Macs i need to know if anyone is using Final cut with HD footage and what spec of mac they recommend? I dont mind waiting a while for the rendering, but the capture and the quality of footage must be maintained at a good to high level. Also i dont want the computer to get bogged down on the time line and when previewing. I would like it to be as smooth and hassle free as possible!
I like the look of the new 20" IMac, but am also aware of the capabilities of the Power Mac. But will the Imac do the job nicely? Is the Power Mac really necessary?

My Thanks in advance. . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I'd recommend at least a 2.0Ghz Processor (Dual if you get a PowerMac).
As much RAM as financially possible (4GB in a PowerMac would be awesome).
At least a 128MB Video card.
At least 300Gb of storage, depends on what you're doing, but the more the better. Make sure they're 7200rpm drives, too.

...and a monitor that will display 1920x1080 progressively for true 1080p action. :)

So, the newer iMac fits most of these spces, you'd be fine with using it occasionally, but a PowerMac would be your better bet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.