• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Urgent - permission for Mac SFX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I have been working on a 1 min promo film for a new website on the company I work for and my boss needs to know if permission is needed to use the i-life sound effects/music skits and who to contact regarding this.

Website waiting to be launched so a rapid reply would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Just call your nearest Apple Store.....If they don't know they'll give you a number to call...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am just going to give you some information, don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure.

I believe that Garageband and the rest of iLife can be used royalty free as long as long as you are not copying anything from anybody else (ie, copying somebody elses song using garageband effects, or copying an idea of another video and making it in imovie.)

Reaction score
That sound pretty good to me, I would say that the images, sound FX are/should be (Don't know for sure) royalty free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You are going to want to double check on getting permission.
The loops and such in GarageBand are royalty free, but only for personal, non-profit use.
If you are using them in a video to promote your company, then that would be for profit. Most royalty-free audio is that way.
In any case, you really should check first.

Reaction score
In summary,

A Forum isn't the best place to get verification...ring Apple and get a reference # for the phone call

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Pulse-8 said:
In summary,

A Forum isn't the best place to get verification...ring Apple and get a reference # for the phone call

Good Summary.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Thanks a lot guys, will call my nearest store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey Cameronryan, When you have phoned them, if you dont mind, please post the answer in here so for future reference we can get an idea of what we are and are not allowed to do with the loops etc :)

~~ TS ~~

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.