128 vs. 256

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I was unable to have my order for the 20" C2D upgraded to the 256 vid card.

No I'm all worried that I'm going to be lacking.

Is it THAT big of a deal? the differnce between 128 and 256???

I'll be using the machine to mix music, burn DVD's, photo editing, web browsing, itunes (can't wait to stream itunes wirelessly on Airport Express!!)

Any thoughts, input?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RIDE said:
I'll be using the machine to mix music, burn DVD's, photo editing, web browsing, itunes (can't wait to stream itunes wirelessly on Airport Express!!)

Any thoughts, input?

TIA
Nothing you listed is graphics intensive. The only time increased VRAM comes into any advantage is when you are doing heavy 3D rendering (games, modeling, 3D design... etc.).
All of the things you listed only use 2D so you will be fine.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
D3v1L80Y said:
Nothing you listed is graphics intensive. The only time increased VRAM comes into any advantage is when you are doing heavy 3D rendering (games, modeling, 3D design... etc.).
All of the things you listed only use 2D so you will be fine.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't help but feel like I may need the extra VRAM at some point... I really hardly ever get into gaming, but if I did, would 128 be enough.. how about web design?

What processes would utilize or need the 256 card???

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RIDE said:

Thanks again.
Like I mentioned, the only things that are going to require lots of VRAM are 3D apps. Games are the most common. If you plan on doing heavy 3D modeling with things like Maya and the like, then you will need more VRAM as well.
Other than those, you are fine. It doesn't appear that you are going to be doing any of those things so you are good to go with the 128.

S

sursuciofla

RIDE said:
That's what I was thinking, but I can't help but feel like I may need the extra VRAM at some point... I really hardly ever get into gaming, but if I did, would 128 be enough.. how about web design?

Thanks again.

Web design is fine. My vram is 32MB and I do web design. I wouldn't worry about it, 128 is more than enough.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thank you both... I can now go back to being THRILLED with the fact that my iMac shipped a week before the estimated ship date, and should be here on Thurs.

Thanks again.

RIDE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.