• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't join i-movie projects

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
It's taken me nearly 3 months to get onto this forum but that's to do with a less important problem than the one I need to solve.

I bought myself the MacBookPro for my 32nd birthday, my first ever computer which, I know, is like getting a Ferrari for your first car - but that said I have almost mastered i-movies in the 3 months I've had it and am very pleased that it's realized some of the visions I have had for years.

Anyway, I am making a project in several chunks which I need to join together to make the finished product but I can't.
I was told my my Apple guru - the very helpful Mac rep who suppied the Mac to me here in Hangzhou, China where I am currently working - to drag one project into the clips pane of another but when I do I get the following message:

The file could not be imported: The file “Macintosh HD/Users/cameronpoolepoole/Desktop/promo 2” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -43

Quicktime couldn't 'parse' it??? What does that mean?

More urgently, eternal thanks to anybody who knows how I can get around this problem.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can do one of two things. First export you project as a quicktime movie and then import it into the project you are joining. Make a back up copy of the project you are going join to your working project. Control click on the iMovie icon. Select show package contents. Then go into the media folder and drag the contents out. Now in the working project, import the items you drag out of the media folder.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Thanks so much, just did an experimental join with two short projects. After choosing Import it was automatically on CD Rom so I changed it to Full Quality from a choice of web/web streaming, email and Expert Settings, the latter of which intrigues me, if I chose this would I get the import seperated into clips/soundtrack as in a normal movie project?

This isn't essential but could be useful in the future. There was a slight glitch halfway through the import on the sound which wasn't on the original but I will try with some others.

Thanks again rman.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.