iMac Ordered, Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I finally ordered my first Mac, a iMac 24inch which is pretty much all default apart from the graphics card which I decided to upgrade. Im really looking forward to it and im sure ill have lots of questions, but don't worry I wont post before I search ;).

Anyway I do have one question, it comes with 1GB of RAM which is enough for me to start off with but when I choose to add more do I need to match the RAM or can I say leave a 512 in and add a 1GB stick. Or will I need two 1GB sticks?

Oh and I just found out FM2007 will be on Mac as a universal binary and its a hybrid disk so it will work on PC and Mac off the same disk :D no traveling 27 miles for a store that actually sells Mac software :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Its better to match, but you can have mismatched memory and be ok. Make sure the bigger stick is in the first slot. I think you will be ok for awhile with 1gig, but it mightve been wiser to get 2gigs right from the start, and then never worry about it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Greenredfield said:
Its better to match, but you can have mismatched memory and be ok. Make sure the bigger stick is in the first slot. I think you will be ok for awhile with 1gig, but it mightve been wiser to get 2gigs right from the start, and then never worry about it.

I was considering getting 2gigs straight away but the extra they were charging seemed rather extreme, so aftermarket seems to make the most sense.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
none as of yet however its best to wear the condom that risk it.

Jem

Reaction score
I'm gonna be argumentative here and say why sacrifice your systems performance for a threat that is so close to zero as to be unnoticeable? No point spending the extra for a few more MHz of processor speed if you're then going to lose those extra mips running a redundant utility.

It'd be interesting to set up a poll on here for how many people use virus scanners on their mac but I think that figure is also pretty close to zero.

Reaction score
Jem said:
It'd be interesting to set up a poll on here for how many people use virus scanners on their mac but I think that figure is also pretty close to zero.
In 16 years of Macs, I came across only one — a Windows virus in an email sent from a Windows box, so it couldn't affect my machine. The free ClamXaV found it. What can a Mac anti-virus app search for, except Windows viruses?

It wouldn't surprise me if anti-virus-program marketers load their apps with code that searches for the 39 or so pre-System-X viruses, so they can say their apps search for Mac nasties, such as Seven Dust that hasn't been around since wheels were square.

Of course, if you're running System 6 it might be wise to download the free Disinfectant. You never know what lurks in strange floppies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.