Will my linksys modem work with a mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
B or G range, YES. upto 54Mbps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes.
Please use the search feature before posting again.
Thanks!
:black:

S

sursuciofla

Until it blows up.

I am on my third one but when it is not fried it works great. When a storm comes and you are home unplug it because I have had them on a good surge protector on an underloaded socket and it still got hit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
sursuciofla said:
Until it blows up.

I am on my third one but when it is not fried it works great. When a storm comes and you are home unplug it because I have had them on a good surge protector on an underloaded socket and it still got hit.

I take it you have a lot of thunderstorms where you live? Is your modem a DSL or Cable? I bet a voltage spike in the line coming to the modem from the outside is what is blowing out your modems.

S

sursuciofla

dtravis7 said:
I take it you have a lot of thunderstorms where you live? Is your modem a DSL or Cable? I bet a voltage spike in the line coming to the modem from the outside is what is blowing out your modems.

Yeah and I have DSL. My phone got hit two weeks ago. So you might be right. Do I need to call power company?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
sursuciofla said:
Yeah and I have DSL. My phone got hit two weeks ago. So you might be right. Do I need to call power company?

I think it might be coming in on the phone line. I have lost a modem that way and a friend in Arizona lost 2 and it was over the phone line. I would have the phone line checked out and see if there is any Lightning arrestor on the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
I have a wireless ADSL linksys and have had no problems for well over a year now, not even a hitch.

S

sursuciofla

dtravis7 said:
I think it might be coming in on the phone line. I have lost a modem that way and a friend in Arizona lost 2 and it was over the phone line. I would have the phone line checked out and see if there is any Lightning arrestor on the line.

Thanks, I didn't even go searching for a cause and you just slapped me in the face. I will check into that ASAP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.