• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Potential MacBook Buyer in serious need of help!!!

F

fompas

hi i need some help. i currently have a pc and i want to buy a new macbook. however there a few things i need sorting out before i raid my piggy bank :ninja: ... i need to know:

i have a belkin wireless router. will this work with a MacBook if i get one? will i still be able to connect wirelessly to the internet??

i am currently at college and all the computers at college are windows. if i buy MS Office:Mac, will i be able to view and alter, finish etc. documents which were created on microsoft office windows version? and what about the other way around?

and last but nt least... i can access my college user on the college network from home via the internet. will i still be able to do this on a mac?

thanks a lot guys i REALLY need answers A.S.A.P!!! hope to hear from someone. thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
fompas said:
i have a belkin wireless router. will this work with a MacBook if i get one? will i still be able to connect wirelessly to the internet??

yes i have a mix of xp and mac now on my home wireless network and its working fine

fompas said:
i am currently at college and all the computers at college are windows. if i buy MS Office:Mac, will i be able to view and alter, finish etc. documents which were created on microsoft office windows version? and what about the other way around?

yes and yes.. their interchangable

fompas said:
and last but nt least... i can access my college user on the college network from home via the internet. will i still be able to do this on a mac?

if its just through a browser no worries at all.. im currently using firefox

OP
T

todd51

I think you should be fine, my college is also mainly a PC based college, I rarely see people using macs. I am also connected to my internet wirelessly through a Linksys router, which is like a Belkin, yours should work fine. You'd be suprised how easily Mac's work with everything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.