System preferences messed up

B

boosing

This is a bit of a stupid problem..
Basically I wanted the DivX codec, so I followed the links from Apple's website to DivX's, and downloaded 'DivX for Mac'. It came bundled with all kinds of players and trials and things I didn't want, so I began deleting it all, deciding it was all more trouble than it was worth. It's all uninstalled now, except for in my Systems Preferences pane a new category 'Other', with DivX has appeared. If i click on that it gives an error message, saying DivX could not load. Presumably because I deleted it all. How can I remove the last traces of it from my system preferences window? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Just drag to the trash - then empty and re-download DivX all over again. Sometimes I keep the .dmg file just for moments like these....;)

OP
P

pritska

If you open up MacHDD (or whatever your hard drive is called), and go System/Library/PreferencePanes, you will see a list of all icons that appear in System Preferences. A bit like the .cpl files for control panel in Windows. I had a logitech icon I didn't want and I deleted the relevant file in there and it's gone.

As far as deleting programs from the computer, yes, do what previous poster says, drag from applications folder to trash. easy peasy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.