Burn Folder Too Large?

Reaction score
Trying to move some video off my Macbook to free up space. I have a folder that is 4.48 GB. I drag it to a new burn folder and hit burn. Insert a 4.7GB blank DVD+R. Hit burn in the next box and OSX tells me the contents of the folder is too large.

What am I doing wrong? Is there that much overhead on a burned disk or do I need to do some kind of setup on the SuperDrive?

I have burned a Ubuntu .iso before but this is the first regular file burn I have tried.

Thx-

Tom

2.0 White Macbook 2GB + Superdrive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
It's all to do with the horrible mess manufacturers make when stating capacity. Some state gigabytes at 1000 megabytes when they should be 1024, some state 'theoretical' capacity rather than the capacity that is actually useful once the filesystem data is on there. As a rule of thumb, you can get 4.4GB on a 4.7GB disk, so you're just over the limit :(

Reaction score
I use DivX Player and DivX Converter to compress my video files. Are your files .avi's? DivX is a free download.

Reaction score
i've had problems like that.

when i was trying to burn something that was 4.6 gb's it just wasn't happening.. it would spit the dvr out.

OP
K
Reaction score
cazabam said:
It's all to do with the horrible mess manufacturers make when stating capacity. Some state gigabytes at 1000 megabytes when they should be 1024, some state 'theoretical' capacity rather than the capacity that is actually useful once the filesystem data is on there. As a rule of thumb, you can get 4.4GB on a 4.7GB disk, so you're just over the limit :(

Ahh... Didn't cross my mind with blank optical media. I assume the number on a hard drive box is bogus but I guess this is the same deal.

Maybe they need to state things like CRT monitors and viewable area... "Will show up on your computer as 4.3GB"

Thx-

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.