USB connected HD not getting recognized...

Reaction score
Sometimes it pings up after a few minutes of being connected... a lot of the times it's ignored.

i don't know if the system isn't looking or what exactly is going on, but this is kind of confusing.

when it gets recognized, it works fine;

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Do you have access to any other computer? Is the behavior the same on another computer? For example, if you plug it into a Windows box and you also see erratic behavior, the drive itself may be suspect. This is my initial thought. How old is the drive?

P

pritska

Also, try connecting it to a different port, especially the keyboard one. This would eliminate the port as the problem or identify it as. What did you format it as?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Check Disk Utility when it's plugged in to see if it can find it. It may not be properly partitioned. I had a similar problem not too long ago about this.

OP
kevin_msu
Reaction score
update:
the drive is basically brand new. casing is a year or two old... the new casing i bought just didn't work with the mac, but my pc's HD casing did so i swapped them.

i plug it in, when it doesn't recognize it right away i just leave it alone. then the light on the HD case will blink. i then unplug it and plug it back in and *bam* its on. it pings right up. weird? weird!
i have no idea why it does this. disk utility says the drive is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.