New Years Revolution

B

Bluewolf

I have ‘Switched’, however being the Windows junkie that I am, I am finding things rather tough as not only do I have to make myself compatible with Mac OS X but I also have to make my PowerBook connect through my University’s network.

The former will take time. Starting with any new OS will take some time for you to get use to. The latter, however, I need to solve relatively quickly. Any pointers or help on connecting to the internet via a proxy network would be greatly appreciated, as I don’t know where the proxy inputs are let alone where my web-browser is!

All I know so far about my PowerBook G4 and Mac OS X is that they are super sleek and super sexy. Whether or not I can actually do anything else with my PowerBook apart from play chess and CDs is another matter entirely. Hopefully I will be able to do more in the future. On an unrelated note, I would like to win just one game in a while, so is it possible to reduce the computer opponent’s ‘intelligence’ down further than easy?

OP
W

Wapa18

Bluewolf said:
I have ‘Switched’, however being the Windows junkie that I am, I am finding things rather tough as not only do I have to make myself compatible with Mac OS X but I also have to make my PowerBook connect through my University’s network.

The former will take time. Starting with any new OS will take some time for you to get use to. The latter, however, I need to solve relatively quickly. Any pointers or help on connecting to the internet via a proxy network would be greatly appreciated, as I don’t know where the proxy inputs are let alone where my web-browser is!

All I know so far about my PowerBook G4 and Mac OS X is that they are super sleek and super sexy. Whether or not I can actually do anything else with my PowerBook apart from play chess and CDs is another matter entirely. Hopefully I will be able to do more in the future. On an unrelated note, I would like to win just one game in a while, so is it possible to reduce the computer opponent’s ‘intelligence’ down further than easy?

your web browser is in the Appllications folder in your hard drive, and both internet explorer and safari should be there (i recommend safari). as for the network connection, go into System Preferences (also in the Applications folder) and then click on the Network pane. there you'll find all of the inputs for your network information. if u need any other help, just let us know :D

OP
B

Bluewolf

Wapa18 said:
your web browser is in the Appllications folder in your hard drive, and both internet explorer and safari should be there (i recommend safari). as for the network connection, go into System Preferences (also in the Applications folder) and then click on the Network pane. there you'll find all of the inputs for your network information. if u need any other help, just let us know :D

I'll probably report back in a few days in regards to connecting to the internet through a proxy server. At the moment I am still waiting for my PowerBook's mac address to be authorised. Finding the mac address was certainly interesting as the Mac expert had gone home for the day, leaving me with advisors who didn't know what Mac OS X looked like, let alone knew how to use it.

And before questions are asked where my allegiances lies I will be using Safari. If I am going for the full blown revolution I have to use non-Microsoft products... except for my MS roller ball mouse with the 'right click' feature... I have been groomed by MS's standard for far too long to quit 'right clicking' now. :p

Not only can I connect to the network physically but I can also do it through their wireless network. However I am unsure to whether I have a wireless network capability built into my PowerBook as standard, or whether I have to buy a wireless network card. Help and pointers on how to locate this ever mysterious creature that sends information across the airwaves would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick question, does anyone else get shivers of pleasure when they start up their Mac and hear the 'doo'? Or perhaps this is only what recent 'Switchers' suffer from. Or are the shivers from the 'doo' a built in feature from Apple which are designed to shake free the taint of Windows? :p

Ah the joys of owning a Mac... and coming soon... the joys of using a Mac competently.

OP
W

Wapa18

to find out if you have wireless capabilities, go to Applications>Utilities>Airport Setup Assisstant. double click on that, and if you have an Airport card in your machine, then it'll start goin through the steps to get your connection setup. if you don't have an Airport card, then it'll say "The appropriate Airport hardware was not found on this machine."

OP
B

Bluewolf

Wapa18 said:
to find out if you have wireless capabilities, go to Applications>Utilities>Airport Setup Assisstant. double click on that, and if you have an Airport card in your machine, then it'll start goin through the steps to get your connection setup. if you don't have an Airport card, then it'll say "The appropriate Airport hardware was not found on this machine."

Excellent, many thanks Wapa18. I will busy myself with determining if I do have an Airport card whilst I wait for my mac address to be activated by the University.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
nope, the startup sound is still very comforting.. and ive been on macs my whole life

one reason to stick with Safari, is that MS has dropped IE, and will no longer develop updates or security patches. plus Tabbed Browsing is great!

i also am a fan of the 2-button mouse. its odd they still stick with the one-button mouse since OS X has a lot of right-click features. (i know why they do it, but just seems silly)... anywho, you might want to check out the rfMouse Jr by MacAlly. They have some really good products, and that is really cool for powerbooks.

OP
B

Bluewolf

MacAddikt said:
nope, the startup sound is still very comforting.. and ive been on macs my whole life

one reason to stick with Safari, is that MS has dropped IE, and will no longer develop updates or security patches. plus Tabbed Browsing is great!

i also am a fan of the 2-button mouse. its odd they still stick with the one-button mouse since OS X has a lot of right-click features. (i know why they do it, but just seems silly)... anywho, you might want to check out the rfMouse Jr by MacAlly. They have some really good products, and that is really cool for powerbooks.

My computing career began with a Mac, but then I killed it through my favouite game. I cant remember the name exactly but the game envolved a 2d man that needed to slove puzzels whilst moving through a castle. I am sure the name will come back to me eventually.

As for the Mac mouse I am not sure that I will buy another one so soon after I bought the MS trackball mouse. Firstly it was expensive so there is no budget for a new mouse and secondly I am saving my pennies for an Airport card. I am Bluetooth ready but I dont have a built in airport card, I have to buy that seperately.

And I am very pleased to report that this post was brought to you by Safari. My Mac is now up and running through my home connection. It took me forever to properly configure my BT Voyager ADSL modem, but it was certainly time well spent as I am here now.

If anyone has problems with connecting through BT's USB Voyager modem I am happy to be of assistance.

OP
I

idgabay

I'm in real need of help. I have a BT VOYAGER Broadband Wireless Modem and an Apple Airport Card in my G3 ibook. I am running OS X Panther.
Two weeks ago my ibook saw the network in my falt no problem and could connect. My flatmate has since changed the WEP Key (??) and now the airport card can't even see a network (although it can see the TMobile network at Starbucks so it must be OK). I can;t see where I input WEP keys on my apple or what has happened to VOyager to exclude my laptop. The other PC users in the flat have no proble connecting wirelessly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.]

OP
B

Bluewolf

idgabay said:
I'm in real need of help. I have a BT VOYAGER Broadband Wireless Modem and an Apple Airport Card in my G3 ibook. I am running OS X Panther.
Two weeks ago my ibook saw the network in my falt no problem and could connect. My flatmate has since changed the WEP Key (??) and now the airport card can't even see a network (although it can see the TMobile network at Starbucks so it must be OK). I can;t see where I input WEP keys on my apple or what has happened to VOyager to exclude my laptop. The other PC users in the flat have no proble connecting wirelessly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.]

>.< I am afraid I cant help you on this one as my BT Voyager USB Modem is not wireless. Many apologises for the promise of false hope. In fact wireless networks and networks alike confuse me. I think the best thing for you to do is to startup your own thread about this.

Bluewolf

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

Connecting through a proxy isn't hard. Just click the Apple, click system preferences, then click network. Then where it says "Show:", click there and select your modem or ethernet. Then click "Proxies". :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I bet he turned off the "Broadcast SSID" setting so the network seems invisable. You need to know the SSID of the access point and select "CONNECT TO" from the Airport menu. Type in the SSID and WEP code and hit connect. Should work if you have the correct SSID and WEP

Jerry

OP
I

idgabay

GLJones said:
I bet he turned off the "Broadcast SSID" setting so the network seems invisable. You need to know the SSID of the access point and select "CONNECT TO" from the Airport menu. Type in the SSID and WEP code and hit connect. Should work if you have the correct SSID and WEP

Jerry

Do you mean in the router software or on my laptop? Also, where is the 'CONNECT TO'? Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm a bit of a networking illiterate. Thanks for your help.

Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Sorry...It's not CONNECT TO...It's OTHER.

Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
the doo start up sound

Bluewolf: I love the "doooo' start up sound. It reminds me of a Gregorian chant, which I think is really cool.

My roomate has Windows, and her computer doesn't make any fun noises. ::giggle, giggle::

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
My roommate's computer makes weird noises. I think it's called "rap".

I think many computers, not just Macs suffer from that problem :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I was a long time right clicker to! But now I love the one button mouse as there are so many keyboard shortcuts! :)

OP
B

Bluewolf

witeshark said:
I was a long time right clicker to! But now I love the one button mouse as there are so many keyboard shortcuts! :)

I will conceed to the fact that it is enjoyable just having once mouse button on the PowerBook, however I will never be able to give up my right clicking thanks to my external mouse. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.