Ubuntu

B

BillA1016

Hi. I know this is a bit off topic because it doesn't involve boot camp but this group seems the most likely to have an answer to my problem. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.06 on an iMac G3. I booted off of a LiveCD and everything seemed to go fine- the Ubuntu logo appeared and a bar filled up underneath and things said "ok" next to them. After that went away though, it turned to a black screen. The Ubuntu opening chime plays, but the screen remains black. The computer itself works fine running MacOS 9.2, so I know the system itself is ok. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks.

OP
L

Logan

BillA1016 said:
Hi. I know this is a bit off topic because it doesn't involve boot camp but this group seems the most likely to have an answer to my problem. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 6.06 on an iMac G3. I booted off of a LiveCD and everything seemed to go fine- the Ubuntu logo appeared and a bar filled up underneath and things said "ok" next to them. After that went away though, it turned to a black screen. The Ubuntu opening chime plays, but the screen remains black. The computer itself works fine running MacOS 9.2, so I know the system itself is ok. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? Thanks.

Read this and see if it helps: link,

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With the LIVE Ubuntu CD there was a command I had to pass at the very beginning to it or my 333Mhz Grape G3 iMac would do that same thing. I will put in my Live CD and get you the info and post back.

Which iMac is this?

OP
B

BillA1016

G3 Slot-loading Blueberry, 333MHz, 128MB Ram, 6GB Hard drive. I don't know if any settings are changed because it was once owned by a school. I bought it from an elementary school who changed to eMacs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BillA1016 said:
G3 Slot-loading Blueberry, 333MHz, 128MB Ram, 6GB Hard drive. I don't know if any settings are changed because it was once owned by a school. I bought it from an elementary school who changed to eMacs.

Ok, that sounds like my iMac, just a different color. I just got in, after dinner I will boot the thing and see what that command like was right at the beginning and get back to you.

OP
B

BillA1016

dtravis7 said:
Ok, that sounds like my iMac, just a different color. I just got in, after dinner I will boot the thing and see what that command like was right at the beginning and get back to you.

Thank you SOOOO much! You'll be my best friend forever. Haha

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I hope this works for you, It did on my iMac. Right after you hold C and the first info comes on the screen, it stops and you are either to Hit ENTER or type a command then hit Enter. This is what I have typed and it's always worked and gotten to the Desktop.

live video=ofonly

then hit Enter. Hope the Ubuntu you are using gives you that option and it works for you.

OP
B

BillA1016

I got in!! This is progress but I have a new issue. It says "Failed t start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose your problem? Thanks again for your help, and thanks even more if you can solve this one!

Reaction score
I'm sitting on the edge of my computer chair on this one too, BillA1016.....I so wanna see your issues resolved!

OP
B

BillA1016

Haha- thanks! someone from the Ubuntu message board gave me a command line to put in and it worked- its asking me for my desired x-server driver and it gives me about 15 choices and I don't know what to pick. Im waiting for a response (input from you is also welcome!! anything to get in!!)

OP
B

BillA1016

So I'm sad to say that with much progress (it seemed) nothing was accomplished today. I'll keep you posted, Pulse-8, as to what happens but for now I'm leaving the issue unresolved for the night. I have class tomorrow and need some sleep!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.