Apple Care Warranty

C

coolemt

Hey I am new and bought a Mac less then a year ago. How do you find out when the exact date you bought it is? I want to get an Apple Care Warranty.. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
You can go to the store and give them your serial number.

Reaction score
if you haven't gotten the extra warranty, DON'T buy it. First thing you should do is call your credit card company, odds are they will cover it for an extra year. So Apple Care is really only covering it for one year. By the time the computer is 2 to 2.5 years old its value has gone done a lot. So its not worth paything $200 or $300.

Save your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I honestly have a problem with the above advice. I purchased AppleCare two weeks before the year warranty ran out and it saved me over $3,500 dollars and got me a new computer. If you want AppleCare, get it, the worst that can happen is you pay the money and never need it. The second you do need it, and dont buy it you will be kicking yourself.

Reaction score
the thing most people dont know is 99% (or some large number) of credit cards cover you for an extra year. Did it break in year two or year three. And what kind of system were you using that needed over $3,500 in repairs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a 17" Powerbook G4, its repairs consisted of:

3 logic boards
2 airport extreme cards
2 sets of jumpers for the airport extremes
1 thermal module assembly
2 topcases
1 dead hard drive

Then after 5 repairs, they decided to replace that computer with a MacBook Pro. All of these repairs except for the first top case happened a year after I got the computer, right when the initial year warranty would have expired. The credit card thing is good advice, I just think telling somebody to not buy AppleCare is bad advice. Especially for a relatively small price they can get a good warranty that will stick with the computer even if it is sold.

Reaction score
I bought my iMac G5 with cash and the initial warranty is set to expire in a month.

After 1xlogic board and 2xLCD screen replacements, I'll definately be grabbing that Apple....

Reaction score
Next time buy it on your credit card, you can get cashback or miles too. I followed the link from CO's mall so ill be getting close to 4,500 miles for buying my new computer. They are worth about $110 to $200 depending on how I use them.

Pulse-8 said:
I bought my iMac G5 with cash and the initial warranty is set to expire in a month.

After 1xlogic board and 2xLCD screen replacements, I'll definately be grabbing that Apple....

Reaction score
whenever i buy something and they give me "the pitch"... its ...

it sounds like this :

"this is a state of the art piece of equipment; you're going to enjoy its high tech quality.... :hard pause:
now for 3 years you can buy a warranty and we'll replace this pile of crap when it falls apart on you in a year and a half"

i'm on the fence with apple care.
if it was as comprehensive as Dell's complete care, i'd buy it (thats where if i drop it or spill something on it, i tell them and they replace it anyway).

they still won't replace my crappy white mac book plastic.

__________EDIT______________

so i read the one guys post about the credit card thing and i'm like 'yeah right whatever' ..... dude! i used my american express. i pulled this off their site:

Reaction score

6717-11-01 1
The Buyer's Assurance Plan
Benefit Details

Please be advised that this document serves only as a description of benefit details and is not a policy or
contract of insurance; the actual terms, conditions and exclusions of Policy AX0953 govern the Buyer’s
Assurance Plan.

How The Buyer's Assurance Plan Works...

When a Cardmember charges the entire cost of a covered product with his or her Card account[1] the Buyer's
Assurance Plan will extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty for a period of time equal to the
duration of the original manufacturer's warranty, up to one additional year (up to three additional years for
Centurion Card members), on warranties of five years or less that are eligible in the U.S.

How You Benefit...

• The Buyer's Assurance Plan mirrors manufacturers' warranties for covered products purchased entirely with
your Card account, up to one additional year (up to three additional years for Centurion Card members).

• When your covered product's manufacturer's warranty expires, the Buyer's Assurance Plan takes effect. The
Buyer's Assurance Plan cannot pay more than the actual amount charged to your Card for the item or $10,000;
whichever is less (not to exceed $50,000 per Cardmember account per policy year for all Occurrences
combined).

• Coverage is provided for any product malfunction, defect or damage covered by the terms of the product's
original warranty (“Occurrence”)- at no extra cost.

• For items charged entirely with the Card, the program administrator will decide whether to have the item
repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you (cash or credit[2]), not to exceed the original purchase price. The
Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly,
professional advice, maintenance or other service charges.[3]

• Where the personal property consists of articles in a pair or set, this Policy shall be liable for one item in the
pair or set which form the basis of claim hereunder.

• No product registration or enrollment is required for any covered products, including gifts purchased for others.

Who Is Covered...

You are covered under this Plan and coverage remains effective as long as, you are a U.S. Resident Cardmember,
that is, the American Express Card has been issued to you in your name, and you maintain your permanent
residence with in the 50 United States of America, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin
Islands.[4]

Your permanent residence is considered your primary dwelling place.

Key Terms To Know...

• Benefits will not be paid if, on the date of Occurrence, on the date of claim filing, or on the date of would-be
claim payment, any amount due on your Card account is unpaid for one or more billing cycle(s) or your Card
account is cancelled.[5]

6717-11-01 2

• You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the covered Occurrence while coverage is in
effect to qualify for benefits under the Buyer's Assurance Plan. Remember to keep all your American Express
charge receipts, original store receipts, original manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair.

• If you purchase an additional service contract or extended warranty with a product which is otherwise eligible
under the Buyer's Assurance Plan, and the combined coverage provided by both the original manufacturer’s
warranty and the purchased service contract does not exceed five years, then the product is eligible for coverage
under the Buyer's Assurance Plan. The Buyer's Assurance Plan will extend the warranty time period and mirror
coverage of the original manufacturers' warranty up to one additional year after both the original
manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract have expired. If, however, you purchase an
American Express® Service Plan with a purchase from American Express Merchandise Services, the Buyer's
Assurance Plan will apply before the Service Plan is in effect. If the combined coverage of the original
manufacturer’s warranty and the purchased service contract exceeds five years then the product purchased is
not eligible under the Buyer's Assurance Plan and no coverage applies.

• If you buy an additional service contract or an extended warranty for a computer, computer component or part
that already comes with an original U.S. Manufacturer’s warranty, unless such coverage is provided from and
administered by the original manufacturer, coverage under the Buyer’s Assurance Plan does not apply.

Products Not Covered...

• products not having manufacturers’ warranties valid in the U.S.;
• at the time of purchase, used, rebuilt, refurbished or remanufactured items;
• products covered by an unconditional satisfaction guarantee;
• motorized vehicles (such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, airplanes) and their parts, subject to high risk,
combustible wear and tear, or mileage stipulations (including batteries, carburetors, pipes, hoses, pistons,
brakes, tires, or mufflers);
• motorized devices and their parts used for agriculture, landscaping, demolition or construction;
• motorized devices and their parts which are permanent additions or fixtures to a residential or commercial
building;
• business fixtures, including but not limited to air conditioners, refrigerators, heaters;
• land or buildings;
• consumable or perishable items;
• animals or living plants;
• one of a kind products which cannot be replaced;
• items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use on non Business Cards.
• items still under installment billing (except those purchased from American Express Merchandise Services) and
• products with manufacturers’ warranties, or combined manufacturer’s warranties and service plan agreements,
lasting in excess of five years.

6717-11-01 3
Occurrences Not Covered...

• any physical damage, including damage as a direct result of natural disaster or a power surge, except to the
extent the manufacturer's warranty covers damage;
• Occurrences caused by any of the following:
• fraud;
• abuse;
• war or hostilities of any kind (e.g., invasion, rebellion, insurrection);
• confiscation by order of any government, public authority, or customs official;
• risks of contraband;
• illegal activity or acts;
• radioactive contamination;
• mechanical failure covered under product recall;
• all Occurrences that take place outside the Buyer’s Assurance Plan coverage effective period.

How To File A Claim...

Remember, you need to report any Occurrence immediately, including that for gifts purchased with the Card.
Remember also, you need to retain your receipts, the original manufacturer's warranty and the product requiring
repair until the claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair estimate.

1) Call toll-free 1-800-225-3750 to notify us of your claim (overseas, call collect at 303-273-6498). Note: You
must report your claim within 30 days from the date of Occurrence.

2) The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you (cash
or credit[2]) up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price. Buyer’s
Assurance Plan does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other
service charges[3]. Note: No payment will be made for invalid claims or claims not substantiated in the manner
required by the Insurer.

3) You must return all requested documentation within 60 days from the date of Occurrence to remain eligible for
coverage.

4) For some claims, you may be required to send in the damaged product, at your expense, for further evaluation
of your claim. Note: If requested, you must send in the damaged product within 30 days from the date of
request to remain eligible for coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Here in germany, a number of apple retailers sell their own extended warranties. Usually they cover more damage (drops, spills, even theft) and are a lot cheaper. (€80 for 3 years macbook coverage for example).
They can also be purchased for macs bought elsewhere within a year after purchase.

As Apple doesn't have retail stores here yet, you'd likely take your mac to a service partner anyway, so you can save quite a bit by buying their warranty as well, as the service is just as good.

(Disclaimer: I work part-time at one such retailer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
Here in germany, a number of apple retailers sell their own extended warranties. Usually they cover more damage (drops, spills, even theft) and are a lot cheaper. (€80 for 3 years macbook coverage for example).
They can also be purchased for macs bought elsewhere within a year after purchase.

As Apple doesn't have retail stores here yet, you'd likely take your mac to a service partner anyway, so you can save quite a bit by buying their warranty as well, as the service is just as good.

(Disclaimer: I work part-time at one such retailer).

I think that is a good idea since you dont have retail stores.

Reaction score
MasterCard Gold/Plats have the same coverage. But the nice thing with the credit card coverage is they tend to give you cash over reparing it. So you can take that money and buy a whole new computer.

They let me buy it through the AmEx special pricing that they set up for their bulk orders. I ended up getting a better computer and since i got it with my AmEx card my coverage started over.

kevin_msu said:
whenever i buy something and they give me "the pitch"... its ...

__________EDIT______________

so i read the one guys post about the credit card thing and i'm like 'yeah right whatever' ..... dude! i used my american express. i pulled this off their site:

Reaction score
For the people that disagree with me, i ask:
How many repairs did you have in the third year of ownership?
How much was the computer worth at that point?
In the second year of ownership did you get a repair that would of cost with in 75% of the original price of the computer? If so AmEx would have giving you enough money to buy a new equivalent system, you could take that money and buy a new computer with your credit card and it would start your coverage over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont disagree with using the extra warranty on a credit card, but I think its BAD advice to tell somebody:

if you haven't gotten the extra warranty, DON'T buy it.

For the price, AppleCare is not a bad option, im glad I got mine and im going to buy it for my MacBook Pro. My computer had more money spent on repairs than what I paid for it, so the credit card warranty would have done nothing for me. This could also be true for somebody else, and if they dont have AppleCare they are stuck paying for the repairs. Suggesting that somebody look at their terms of service for the warranty on a credit card is good, but telling somebody to not buy AppleCare is bad advice. Im sorry if I have offended you in anyway, but this is how I feel, im done with this thread before it gets out of hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.