powerbook vs macbook

G

gazamanga

Hi!

After many years of whining about my pc, windows and everything else have decided to try out the world of Mac.

However don't have a large budget at the moment!

So.. with this in mind (and for reasons to dull to explain only laptop will do) my obvious choice appears to be the base macbook (13" 1.83GHz). However one of the local stores is selling off Powerbook G4 15" for £200 less!

As I'm new to Mac finding it very confusing to compare the two but the powerbook deal seams very appealing.

Can anyone please help me understand pros and cons?

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. However if your budget is tight, the PowerBook G4 seems like a good call. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - White, 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, week 35
gazamanga said:
Hi!

After many years of whining about my pc, windows and everything else have decided to try out the world of Mac.

However don't have a large budget at the moment!

So.. with this in mind (and for reasons to dull to explain only laptop will do) my obvious choice appears to be the base macbook (13" 1.83GHz). However one of the local stores is selling off Powerbook G4 15" for £200 less!

As I'm new to Mac finding it very confusing to compare the two but the powerbook deal seams very appealing.

Can anyone please help me understand pros and cons?

Many thanks in advance!

Before making a decision, I think you should check out the refurbished systems on Apple's website. They are usually the returns or demos, but are reconditioned and nicely discounted. As good as a new one IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
DeNNNiTh said:
Before making a decision, I think you should check out the refurbished systems on Apple's website. They are usually the returns or demos, but are reconditioned and nicely discounted. As good as a new one IMO.

Also to add to that...The refurbs qualify for AppleCare, so if you really are on a tight budget I don't think you can really go wrong with a refurb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20in 2.0GHZ Intel Core Duo 2GB Ram
Sorry guys Apple refurbs are only available in the US.

Us poor suckers here in Europe don't have that facility. Even though Apples Euro HQ is barely 150 miles from me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - White, 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, week 35
OneWorld22 said:
Sorry guys Apple refurbs are only available in the US.

Us poor suckers here in Europe don't have that facility. Even though Apples Euro HQ is barely 150 miles from me...

The strange thing is the European sites still have a refurb section... only there is nothing listed.

Reaction score
If you buy a new mac you get a free ipod and printer. If your sell them on ebay your better off than you would be if you got a refurb with out the extra stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
gazamanga said:
So.. with this in mind (and for reasons to dull to explain only laptop will do) my obvious choice appears to be the base macbook (13" 1.83GHz).
What is most important is what you need your computer to do. These reasons and needs must be explored and recognized before you should make a decision on any computer. No reason is too dull or mundane, it is your interests and reasons that matter here. It is a possibility that a Mac is not the most obvious or wisest choice. The only way to find out for sure is to delve deeper into your needs.

:black:

Reaction score
^ along those lines, the G4 will do you no good if you want to dual boot windows or use parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They do sell refurbs in europe, they just don't always have some in stock.

If you think you might need to run windows apps occasionally, get the macbook. If not, or you still have a PC you're keeping - the powerbook has a nicer screen :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
In terms of investment and best value, I'd say the Macbook is a better route. It's an entire new architecture, it's faster (even the slowest Macbook is faster than the fastest Powerbook), and will hold its value longer. Lastly, you can get a free iPod and printer right now, if you buy one.

That said, the Powerbook is a wonderful machine, and you can't go wrong either way. Still, unless you need the graphics capabilities of the Powerbook, I'd go with a Macbook.

OP
G

gazamanga

Thanks for all the responses. :)

I already have a pc and a work laptop so this is really in addition to those - although ideally I'd this to be a replacement for my creaking desktop but don't need the ability to boot into Windows on this laptop.

We'll mainly be using this for ms-office applications in the first instance (wife and I are fighting over the laptop at night just now) as well as web surfing.

Been told there are no issues on working in MS-Office on Mac and transferring to the PC.

Reason I want to try out Mac?
Everyone I know raves about the O/S and stability of their Macs and for no other reason than this and the fact I fancy a change I'm looking at Macs! Should also say that I spend my worklife in front a pc so something different is good.

Happy to take the risk as chances are I'll just end up replacing it in 2 or 3 years anyway as tech moves on (and I'll have the pc/laptop to fall back to should I hate Mac life).

I've not seen anything about a free iPod over here (UK).. wonder if this is a NA only offer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The free iPod offer is only for students...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.