Questions about mac/ windows

G

gaara

I'm planning on getting a mac book pro but i have a few questions about it. I have never really used Mac OS before so I'm not very familiar with it.

I understand that I can run WinXP after installign boot camp, but can I run Windows Vista once it comes out?
Can files that I have in OS X be used in Windows and vice-versa?
What is the Mac equivalent of microsoft office?
I have other questions but I cannot think of them right now.
your help is appreciated

Reaction score
Just about all the answers to your questions can be found within the Mac-Forums website.

A bit of searching around would uncover the relevant info.

Re: Vista running on Macs via Boot Camp....no can do and I think all you would get on that one regarding your question is speculation but that's my opinion.

There is also Parallels which is pay for, and runs Windows XP SP2 from a window on the desktop, so no rebooting back and forth. Once again it's probably too early to do anything other than speculate whether Vista will run on either at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
gaara said:
I'm planning on getting a mac book pro but i have a few questions about it. I have never really used Mac OS before so I'm not very familiar with it.

I understand that I can run WinXP after installign boot camp, but can I run Windows Vista once it comes out?
Can files that I have in OS X be used in Windows and vice-versa?
What is the Mac equivalent of microsoft office?
I have other questions but I cannot think of them right now.
your help is appreciated

People are already using Boot Camp to run the Vista Beta, so the final release will work just fine.

Files can be transferred between OS X and Windows as long as there's a program to open them. There needs to be a similar program on both sides.

The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office. Microsoft's been making office software for the Mac since the 80s. Also, Apple makes a suite called iWork, but it only contains a word processor and a presentation application.

Reaction score
dohidied said:
People are already using Boot Camp to run the Vista Beta, so the final release will work just fine.

I thought that Vista wouldn't run on EFI firmware at the moment...but I stand corrected.

The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office.

lol.... :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
I thought that Vista wouldn't run on EFI firmware at the moment...but I stand corrected.

XP doesn't run on EFI either. Boot Camp emulates a BIOS.

OP
G

gaara

dohidied said:
The Mac equivalent of Microsoft Office is Microsoft Office. Microsoft's been making office software for the Mac since the 80s. Also, Apple makes a suite called iWork, but it only contains a word processor and a presentation application.
Heh, you have to excuse my newishness, I don't know much about OS X, but I indend to learn when I get my MBP.
So do macs come with microsoft office already installed? Also, is iwork as good a word processor/presentation program? I don't reallt care that iwork is only a word prcessor and a presentation, powerpoint and word are the only two things I use anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gaara said:
Heh, you have to excuse my newishness, I don't know much about OS X, but I indend to learn when I get my MBP.
So do macs come with microsoft office already installed? Also, is iwork as good a word processor/presentation program? I don't reallt care that iwork is only a word prcessor and a presentation, powerpoint and word are the only two things I use anyway.

Don't worry, we were all new to this at some point. A 30-day trial of Office and iWork come pre-installed on Macs. You can purchase it from numerous retailers, including Apple and Microsoft. There's even a Student and Teacher version for $150 (it has a $50 rebate right now). I've never used iWork, but I hear it's very good, and in some ways better than Office. I'm not sure how cross-compatible it is with Office though.

OP
G

gaara

Ah, ok, on the mac store website having iwork preinstalled is only about $60 or so so I might end up getting that when I order it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gaara said:
Ah, ok, on the mac store website having iwork preinstalled is only about $60 or so so I might end up getting that when I order it.

They give you the same price whether you buy it pre-installed or buy the boxed retail version. If I were you I would just try it for free for 30 days and then if you like it buy it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.