Do you encourage other people to get a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes & No.

Yes: I work at an apple product retailer, it's part of the job.
No: I don't like to encourage people to buy a mac who don't benefit from it. If someone comes in saying I want to run Halo 2, 3D Studio Max and become a .NET developer, I won't try to talk him into it. (We also don't work on commission).

Privately? In cases where it makes sense, I'll make the suggestion when I'm asked. In those cases where I'm the main "computer guy" then I will recommend a mac. (Also because it means less time spent reinstalling Windows for people :))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Generally, I will recommend a Mac to a Windows user who is sick of their spyware infested machine and just wants, basically, an internet terminal. I've also recommended it to a couple of musicians who were fed up of playing the PC compatibility game with their kit. So far I've had no complaints :)

Reaction score
If I can assess a persons situation well enough to safely say "He could use a mac" then I will. That is, if I can picture the person doing the exact same work on a mac, but hassle-free. As aptmunich said, I too don't try to sell a Mac to someone who wants to program for windows platforms. But in the case of gaming, I always tell them about boot camp. (Depends if it's a hard core gamer or the casual type).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Pretty much everyone I know would benefit from a mac, the gamers I know use consoles, the techies I know wouldnt ask me and everyone else is pretty much after a simpe machine for the web and ilife type software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I have converted liek 5 people so far....so yes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Kulokoy said:
yes or no.

Depends. If not but for proximity of Apple Store, I wouldn't have switched. The "familiar devil" syndrome. If you live in the boonies, its a lot easier to find PC-techs than Mac-techs. Inability to get easy on-site help from time-to-time can be a deal-breaker for some people.

Also businesses dug into Windows programs or with staffs already familiar with Windows can add to the mix.

For me....after three months, I'll never go back. Don't hesitate to recommend but also sensitive to other factors.

OP
Kulokoy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
i brought this up because i've been buildin pc's for years because , simply, it is cheaper. go to Fry's and buy a mobo combo, ram etc... it was fun as a hobby, but im getting tired of, well you know, being thier tech support for thier win/pc troubles.

F

fliP

I know what you mean. I'm the "computer guy" for most my friends/family and now that I've switched I'm trying to convert everybody becuase I'm sick of re-loading windows. As mentioned above though, for all my gamer buddies, I don't push it too hard becuase I realize that Mac is behind with gaming. Even with bootcamp in Windows, the hardware still isn't bleeding edge as in the rest of the computer world. I make sure that they understand that but I show them all the cool stuff about Mac's that make it worth it to me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i reccomend macs, but im still in school so its like a windows world which i dont like !

i try and suggest a mac when ever convienient. e.g if they want to edit pics

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
christm said:
i reccomend macs, but im still in school so its like a windows world which i dont like !

i try and suggest a mac when ever convienient. e.g if they want to edit pics

Im surrounded by horrible Dells at work, people get excited about a flat screen or the new office download but the things have a plastic plug moulded where the disc drive was.

When I was at school it was BBC's, what ever happened to them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I recognize the fact that there are advantages and disadvantages to both Windows and Mac OS X. If the advantages would truly help a person, then I would recommend Mac OS X to them. If not, I will be honest and tell them to just go buy a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
All personal opinions aside, just about ANY computer will fulfill a person's computing needs. I do not just blindly suggest any make, model or brand of computer to someone.
That being said, it is mostly a matter of personal opinion as to what computer a person purchases.

If you are looking for a new computer, I do encourage you to:

1. Determine what you need a computer for
2. Then determine if the computer you currently have does what you need a computer to do. If it does, then great... you don't need a new one.
3. If you find that the computer you already have doesn't fill your needs, then you should do research on your own to see what computer would best suit those needs.
4. When you find a computer that is a likely candidate, I suggest that you get your hands on one and "test-drive" it. Go to a local shop and use a display model, use a friend's...etc. Going against the popular opinion, I am against getting other people's opinions and feedback. What a person should do is be hands on and get out and use the computer they intend on buying and not rely on someone else's opinion for guidance. After all, you aren't going to be the one using your computer and what features your friends like and work for them... may not work for you.

Too many rely on someone else to "help" them decide, "give them a push", "convince" them, give "pros and cons", get them "off the fence"... basically to make up their minds for them instead of taking the initiative and finding out themselves if they would actually like a certain kind of computer or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'08 Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, Mercury SSD, 3x WD HDDs, Radeon 5770
I do recommend Apple to friends and family, though I'm not evangelical about it. Whenever one of my buddies was complaining about spyware and viruses, I suggested looking at a Mac. My roommate is heavily into movie making and pics so I suggested a Mac to him, he was skeptical but after seeing me use mine for nearly a year and no software problems, plus all the cool apps it has he has announced his next puter will be a Mac Pro. I think the problem for most people is the price on the hardware, not to say it is any more expensive than a comparable windows machine, but Apple doesn't really have a "low end" even considering the mini. For a lot of people I know Macs are out of their price range, even if they really wanted one.

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend one or the other as I believe it's up to the individual to make the final choice but once the choice has been decided....Mac/PC....then I could maybe give advice.

A lot would depend on their budget, uses etc...

I could just as easily help someone to buy a PC as I could a Mac....I'm not going to preach about it, just help them get the best deal...available to them at the time...

L

Logan

What I normally try to do is say "try it out." I don't say "buy it life is easier", but a lot of people think macs of olden days.

So ex: friend says tired of spyware. I say you can fight it with antispyware, or totally eliminate it by switching to mac. bandaid or immunity.

another friend likes CS:S. I told him it's possible to play it on mac, because mac can run it natively, but honestly macs aren't gamer friendly more so because of the hardware (you can't just plug anything into an iMac/Mac mini/Macbook). Mac Pro is too pricey. Maybe mac should consider this market ;)

The people who benefit the most from macs are people who are tired of PC. if you like your PC, then why should you bother getting a mac? Comic Life? :D

edit:
Buy a PC, run windows.
Buy a Mac, run windows and os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
M

MJGUK

On any occasion that I think a Mac will benefit the person in question, then yes of course I recommend that they buy a Mac.....Considering all the things a Mac can do for you, or how more efficiently it can do most things in comparison to Windows, that is a lot of the time.

However, there is the odd situation where I'll be talking to a friend who games a great deal and I just can't bring myself to recommend a Mac. Sure, Macs 'can' play games, but I used to game a lot as a kid and personally, I'd never want to game on a Mac....They simply aren't as compatable as PCs in that area.
But that's why I like Macs so much.....They are extremely productive and very efficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.