Switchers Question.

T

Temp

Here is a good switchers question.

When you get your Mac and all of the programs you had for Windows are now obsolete (Windows programs don't work on Mac); What do you do with your old Windows software programs?

Keep in mind that I won't be using my old PC, because, it doesn't have enough power to do the kind of work that I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
mine are just sitting in the same place they were when i first got the mac. My house still has 4 PC's to my 1 mac so they are still useful every once and a while so I just hang on to them

OP
T

Temp

Hmmm. Well, I guess my mother can always play her card games on the PC. That way she will not tie-up my Mac when I need it.

OP
T

Temp

What a waste. All of those other software programs that will never be used but cost a large fortune. Mother will never use those programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
OP
T

Temp

That's not bad, however, what about the legal issues? I bought the software, it is registered in my name, isn't that going to create legal issues that will come to my doorstep?

OP
S

spencerb

As long as you bought the programs and hold the license, you are free to sell and transfer the license to someone else. If the buyer wants to get it reregistered, you'll have to make some phone calls or do some paperwork with the software company, but it is possible and legal.

There is a market for software that is "used" but includes a legal license. Check before selling or posting on eBay what the transfer requirements are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yep exactly.. and make sure you destroy all copies that you have once it is sold.. otherwise there are legal ramifications. It's just like a music CD.. if I sell it to someone and retain a copy of the CD.. that is illegal, otherwise it's completely legal to sell your music CD's. Same applies to software.

OP
S

sugarkane

use the computer as a server for your own lan and steal the nu versions of the net with a nice fast dsl link!!!

sk

OP
H

hokiethang

sugarkane said:
use the computer as a server for your own lan and steal the nu versions of the net with a nice fast dsl link!!!

sk

Software piracy is bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Buy a G5 2.0Ghz (or better this summer) and get VPC and run them all on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
VirtualPC is an emulator that runs windows Operating systems on the macs but doesnt support anthing that requires 3d accelerators

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Yah, like games. :( But at least some are better than none. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.