• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Bashing?

M

Mistrimeat

Hello everyone.

I belong to an automobile related OT forum that periodically has a Mac/PC debate thread pop up. 95% of the people on the forum are hardcore PC users and ridicule the Mac users unrelentlessly.

Heres a recent post from one particular member who has a real problem with Macs:

Doctor_Poop
Apple invented Unix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I don't understand people that think Macs are better for "creative" work. WHY? Apparantly these people have never used the latest and greatest PC hardware...which is lightyears ahead of Apple's hardware in terms of raw performance. And what's this about the BMW/Civic discussion? My computer is faster...more versitile...and cheaper. On top of that I can emulate Apple hardware and run OSX if I wanted to...I just see absolutely no reason to do so. Just because I got a Ferrari at a Civic price and you got a Civic at a Ferrari price doesn't mean my car isn't better than yours.

Just because you use a Mac doesn't make you an expert. In fact your proven complete lack of knowledge only goes to show how big of a poser you really are. For one you obviously know nothing about what you BS about around here. Tell me why your "Mac" is better for "graphics" and "creative work". This may have been the case a few years ago...but now it's just simply untrue. People say crap like, "I've used Macs for graphics and they're fast!!&!&!&!!" That's great dumbass...but my PC is even faster and I guarantee it. I'm not saying it isn't fast...I'm just saying PC technology has advanced much further and is FASTER.

People keep saying, "speed doesn't matter". Sure it does...that's just stupid. If you can render something in half the time it makes you more efficient...THAT'S THE POINT. There's not 1 single thing that makes a Mac better for "graphics"...I mean come on...where do people get this? Probably from ignorant people like "REDLINE: THE COMPUTER PROFESSIONAL"

How it "feels" using the computer? What the **** are you talking about? And like I said...if you can't live without the pretty OSX shell...you can install the Debian OSX release and you're good to go. It will "feel" exactly the same...boring."

What do you guys say to people like this? This guy just goes on and on about how he could build a PC system "twice as fast as the G5 but for a fraction of the cost" and "Apple has tricked you all!" I've argued with him for several months, but it just got boring and repetative. I'd post a link to the threads, but the OT on that forum has restricted access. I can copy/paste more of his gems of wisdom in here if anyone wants to see it.

Sorry for the long post.

~meat

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
That is not Mac bashing. This is:

Oh, the humanity: Power Mac G5 gutted, turned into PC

One PC user seems to have done the unthinkable: gutted a brand new dual processor Power Mac G5 and installed PC components. "I got a shiny new Apple G5 for Christmas. I loved the case, but I'm no Mac user," writes "Andy" on OverClockers.com. "So I rip out everything, cut out the back of the case so I can use a PC motherboard, and install an Athlon motherboard. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure G5 is a great computer, but I wanted a Dell for Christmas. I don't have any programs for Apple and didn't feel like waiting for them. I thought about selling it, but my parents would be upset with me. After all, this was a very expensive gift and it meant a lot to them to give to me."

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have trouble accessing the above link, but keep trying. I don't know why he did not just return the G5. If I was his parents, I would surely be kicking some....

He says they would be upset, you think they are not upset now.

OP
D

dziner

The guy is an idiot. I use a PC at work and a Mac at home and my Mac is so much faster and more reliable. has this guy ever used a G5 or Panther? I doubt it. Most people who talk like this may have used a Mac a long time ago but a lot has changed.

It's nice not having to worry about viruses on the Mac, although he doesn't believe this - OS X is much easier to use than XP. Screensavers built in work great. You need to download things like that on XP and then go through a dozen windows to configure stuff. All the free iLife apps built into OS X are worth a good bit of the price of my system. I can use any image file format for a desktop picture. On XP when I select a jpg file it goes into some sort of internet desktop phase thing where everything slows down. That sucks. Oh yeah, did I mention viruses? I can run XP on my Mac - although I have absolutely no reason to do so.

There really is no way to win a battle like this. If you like your Mac, use it. If you like you Windows PC, use it. It's all a matter of personal preference. I just work on a PC because the job market has been horrible and all I really want is a paycheck at the end of the week. But if I found a job where I could get paid the same and use a Mac - I'd give my notice today!

OP
M

Mistrimeat

Another bit of wisdom from this guy:

Doctor_Poop
Apple invented Unix

The only reason Microsoft is building the technology into their next OS is to make it easier for 3rd party software manufacturing -- it's one less thing they have to worry about since the code is already built into the OS. I'm not saying it's a worthless feature...I'm just saying there's nothing "Apple exclusive" about it and they did not pioneer the technology in any way. Several unix-based distros have had the technology built-in since the mid 90's...and like I said I've even seen DOS shell apps with similar coding (on a smaller scale obviously).

And the reason every "creative design" place you go to has Macs is because they've always used Macs in the past and they always did the job...so they continue to use Macs. They are stubborn...just like you...and refuse (or just don't care enough) to open their eyes and realize there is new technology out there.

If you haven't noticed most companies remain loyal to companies they've done business with in the past. Why do you think 90% of high-end networks use overpriced Cisco routers and switches? Cisco is behind the times as far as technology goes but they remain number one because they got the job done in the past and companies remain loyal to them. Cisco makes good stuff and people trust Cisco...but they definitely don't have the best technology and definitely don't have the best prices. Cisco is the "safe bet" and it will take several years before these giant corporations start to realize there are better options now. This is the exact same reason many places are still using Macs. If you haven't noticed, however, Apple is losing more and more of it's market share every single year.

On top of that a lot of designers aren't overly tech-savvy. They've been designing on Apple systems for years and switching to a new platform would be extremely difficult for them -- many of them would probably REFUSE to switch.

That's great you like OS X...just don't pretend to know what you're talking about.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mistrimeat said:
Another bit of wisdom from this guy:

Doctor_Poop
Apple invented Unix

If you haven't noticed most companies remain loyal to companies they've done business with in the past. Why do you think 90% of high-end networks use overpriced Cisco routers and switches? Cisco is behind the times as far as technology goes but they remain number one because they got the job done in the past and companies remain loyal to them. Cisco makes good stuff and people trust Cisco...but they definitely don't have the best technology and definitely don't have the best prices. Cisco is the "safe bet" and it will take several years before these giant corporations start to realize there are better options now.

I can use the same argument above for m$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah no kidding.. And we could also provide him with a whole bunch of links where industriy giants are beginning to look elsewhere due to viruses, outrageous contract agreements, ease of use, security. China dumping MS for Linux based systems. Our goverment beginning to look elsewhere.. I would love to see this guys arguement in say.. 10 years.. actually Im pretty sure he would go hide in his basement and hope that all the people that actually listened to him.. won't be able to find him.

Im not sure why he's so stuck on design shops.. unless of course he is still stuck in the pre OS X days, which it sounds like he is. It's funny how many hard core PC users finally decide to try out a Mac OS X system and decide.. wow.. this is what I've been missing out on!!? And all of a sudden they become a hard core Mac user. People feel passionate about what they like :)

We have scientists, videographers, cinematographers, designers, mathematicians, programmers, teachers, students, actors, musicians, etc etc etc.. Now to say even half of these people would have a difficult time switching.. it's definitely possible, but you know what? They switched from PC's to Macs.. and they keep switching. I think he forgot to mention that.

Now the goverment is looking into licensing the virginia tech super computer technology to use themselves.. which if I am not mistaken.. is OS X.. xserves, etc etc.. in other words.. Macs.

Just wait 10 years.. if you can :) And this guy will be singing a new tune, or he'll be hiding like I mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
he has nothing to back up the market shares declining. if anything they are increasing. You never hear about people switching from Macs to PCs but there are plenty of people making the switch the other way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually.. he does. I just read it also that the market share is down a very miniscule amount.. nothing to write home about, but "officially" it is down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well that could be that most people who get a new computer get a PC because thats what everyone else is using. i don't think its that less people are buying apples its just that the amount of people buying more PCs is more than apples. With PCs being as cheap as 400 bucks they are selling more

OP
M

Mistrimeat

I wish you guys could get in on this thread, its really getting rediculous. Check out the latest:

Doctor_Poop
Apple invented Unix

A single Athlon FX will render twice as fast as the fastest dual G5 on the market right now...and don't even get me started on quad Opteron configurations. He can scroll up and down those PDF documents ALL he wants but when it comes right down to it there's no competition. I don't care what anyone's past experience is with Macs and PCs...properly configured, a new PC WILL blow the Mac away in EVERY category for less money. If that's not the case for some of you then your machines were not properly configured or you were using mismatched hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think he likes bill gates a little too much

OP
F

Fomer

Yeah, I don't know if you can say that but trpn just got a huge chuckle from me. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpn.. try to keep it clean.

Im not sure why you guys even continue posting to this guy. He has his mind made up and nothing you do or say is going to change it. Even if you were to put a mac and a pc in front of him and let him configure the pc and let someone else configure the mac and if they mac blew the pc away.. he still wouldnt believe it and would still argue the same thing. Im not sure why you're even giving him the time of day.. the quickest way to shut someone up is to just not repond.. when they see they are not getting a response, eventually they get bored enough and quit posting :)

OP
H

hokiethang

Murlyn said:
Im not sure why he's so stuck on design shops.. unless of course he is still stuck in the pre OS X days, which it sounds like he is. It's funny how many hard core PC users finally decide to try out a Mac OS X system and decide.. wow.. this is what I've been missing out on!!? And all of a sudden they become a hard core Mac user. People feel passionate about what they like :)

We have scientists, videographers, cinematographers, designers, mathematicians, programmers, teachers, students, actors, musicians, etc etc etc.. Now to say even half of these people would have a difficult time switching.. it's definitely possible, but you know what? They switched from PC's to Macs.. and they keep switching. I think he forgot to mention that.

Now the goverment is looking into licensing the virginia tech super computer technology to use themselves.. which if I am not mistaken.. is OS X.. xserves, etc etc.. in other words.. Macs.

wow, sounds like you know me... :-D I used to hate macs because it was the "cool" thing to do. Then I got to Virginia Tech and after using my friend's Powerbook, i had to have one. The apple store has the right approach to spreading the use of OS X to the masses, let people play with it. I played with one and ordered a machine 3 months later. The winds of change are blowing around VT now as well, especially because of our #3 super computer. I have had the opportunity to meet the systems architect (Shrinidi Varadarajan) and he had never used a mac before building the super computer, and now thats all he uses. I see VT turning to an apple campus day after day as I see more and more people bringing ibooks and powerbooks to class instead of dells and gateways. Lots of places are looking to license the technology in our supercomputer, lots of levels of governments, numbers of other universities, and some corporate entities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep exactly :)

I've been using macs for a looong time, maybe not as long as some of the people on these forums, but I used to use a PC, then I went from a PC to the Mac, then I had to use both because the mac couldnt do everything I needed it to do. Then mac os X came out and I could finally once and for all ditch the PC.. Mac OS X was a dream come true, especially since I was going to start messing with a *nix box.. so this gave me the best of every world that I was looking to inhabit!

It's really exciting to see what is going to come of the VT supercomputer and the technology behind it.. seriously.. i give it 10 years and we're going to see the market percentage of people using Macs increase by at least 5%, which doesnt sound that much, but going from 3% marketshare to 8% is actually a whole lot! And then as long as Apple continues to keep the ball in their court, we're going to see that percentage continue to increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:

consider it as clean as Mr. Clean's head

I figured I was going a little overboard but that guy is so stubborn he fit the description of it

OP
M

Mistrimeat

Murlyn said:

Im not sure why you guys even continue posting to this guy. He has his mind made up and nothing you do or say is going to change it. Even if you were to put a mac and a pc in front of him and let him configure the pc and let someone else configure the mac and if they mac blew the pc away.. he still wouldnt believe it and would still argue the same thing. Im not sure why you're even giving him the time of day.. the quickest way to shut someone up is to just not repond.. when they see they are not getting a response, eventually they get bored enough and quit posting :)

Yeah, we usually do end up ignoring him, but when someone posts a legitimate Mac-related question or wants some advice on that forum, he always turns it into a Mac VS. PC argue session. We'll easily get a 5-6 page thread out of it.

OP
X

XxRKObabii80xX

mac bashing annoys me... windows copies everything mac has... me n my brother were laughin cuz like 2 weeks after the imacs came out windows had a red computer that was like clear n stuff.... it was really funny we were yellin at the tv.... bill gates used to work for mac i think... i hate him with a passion thats why i love macs! and b/c there so less complex... though they do get annoying b/c you cant get all the programs >.<

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.