Please Help i want to buy a mac for my family but i do not know????

G

Gamer

I need help
i want to buy a new mac for my family it will be a desktop, but which one

Oh, by the way we have an brand new IBM with windows XP, 1Gb ram and 2.8 GHZ and 280GB cost over $5000. Windows is frezzing in many places, but really only when you try to get on to the internet and some big and small programs.

I think we would use all core apps and heavy use of games and photoshop type program. Lots of music is played by our son how has just gotten an ipod. we use lot of Ram and space

Could you out of the goodness of your heart suggest some amc to solve our PC problems for ever,
G5's are really pricy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Seeing you already spent $5000 on a computer I doubt you would want to do it again.

You should probably look into the 20" iMacs. I'm almost positive it should to the trick for you.

Also, what "Main Apps" are you talking about>? What do you use your computer for mostly?

Thanks.

OP
G

Gamer

Qlarify

Itunes, Microsoft Office, some others like Roxio, Real, MSN Messanger, Printshop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Yeah, deffinatly look into the 17" or 20" iMacs

It will run all those programs (at the same time) with ease and are simply beautiful machines.

OP
W

Wapa18

or if you want expandability, you could look at a power mac G4. those start at $1299, and you can add cheap internal hard drives or change graphics cards--can't do that with an imac. you can also use the monitor you already have. if it's vga or dvi, it'll connect to the G4. hope this helps some.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I disagree... the iMacs are pretty... but thats about it (i have one speaking from experience) If you are going down that route, I would invest in an eMac, cheaper for basically the same machine (minus LCD)

Ok, well those are all well and good, but.
I also know my 800mhz g4 iMac is slower than my 733 Powermac g4. This is prolly because it isn't compact and does have the design needed. But it also has more RAM which will speed things up ALOT.

Look into the G4 PowerMacs, they are towards the bottom of the apple store page. I suggest a dual processor. It will be just that much better.

Bottom lines:
Buy something with ALOT of RAM
the iMac is a pretty eMac
get at least 60GB HD, then expand with external if needed.
G5s are quick, but not worth it if your not getting a 2.0Ghz dual. (mb 1.8dual isnt bad)
Summer i am sure apple will release the 3.ghz g5, along with a slue of other macs (summer is like july/august area releases)

Note: If I could go back in time I would still buy my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.