Can I restrict access to some individual folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Poked around searching under "passwords" and variations without meaningful result so trying here.

From time to time, I'll be turning my iMac over to others to use and become familiar with. I don't much care what they do and I'm well backed up but I would like to lock them out of my "Documents" folder. Perhaps a few other individual folders also.

How to?

Reaction score
You could also create another profile and call it "guest" or something like that. That will keep them out of your stuff.

edit: by profile, I mean user account.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i highly suggest creating a seperate user account for these people so that they can go and do whatever they please including delete all thier information and it wont affect your account at all.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
coach_z said:
i highly suggest creating a seperate user account for these people so that they can go and do whatever they please including delete all thier information and it wont affect your account at all.
-chris
I agree. If you are going to let others use your notebook on even an occasional basis, setting up a dummy user account is a more viable option.
That way, none of your settings, data or information is accessible.
:black:

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
D3v1L80Y said:
I agree. If you are going to let others use your notebook on even an occasional basis, setting up a dummy user account is a more viable option.

Well, there's the rub. The people I'm talking about will all be trusted family members. I want them to have access to almost everything so they can see what I've done and and what I'm doing. However, on "general principals" I don't want them to be able to access some folders intentionally or by accident. I want open access to everything except a few folders I want to keep confidential.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
asolo said:
Well, there's the rub. The people I'm talking about will all be trusted family members. I want them to have access to almost everything so they can see what I've done and and what I'm doing. However, on "general principals" I don't want them to be able to access some folders intentionally or by accident. I want open access to everything except a few folders I want to keep confidential.

you can still do that and not allow them to see all those things you dont want them to see with user accounts. when setting up the other account you can select what other users have acces too
-chris

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
you can still do that and not allow them to see all those things you dont want them to see with user accounts. when setting up the other account you can select what other users have acces too
-chris

OK, I think I'm getting this...albeit slowly. Will consider this good advice more closely. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
D3v1L80Y said:

If you do it that way your grandmother probably wont accidentally come across "A night in Paris" or "Anal Invaders"... :spook:

Reaction score
You could also create an encrypted disk image and treat it as just another folder, though it won't expand automatically as more stuff is added. If you need a larger one, just create another and drag everything into it.

Start Disk Utility and under File in the menu bar go to New, then slide over to Blank Disk Image. A window will pop up, allowing you to choose the disk-image size and whether you want to encrypt it.

If you want to hide the encrypted disk-image file itself, a good place is in an application. Go into the Applications folder and choose Chess, for instance. Right click/Control click it and choose Show Package Contents, then drag the disk-image file (not the hard-drive icon it generates and the stuff inside) into the folder.

Disk images always open on the desktop, so you can't hide that hard-drive icon. You have to eject it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.