• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I lost EVERYTHING

M

moosegoose

I was trying to install bootcamp but it didnt work. So I deleted the partition that the mac set aside for it. Guess what? Somehow, it managed to delete my MAIN partition in the process!!!!! I never made a restore CD and find it hard to believe that the Mac doesn't automatically create restore points or anything.

Everything on my Hard drive is gone.

Is there ANY way to get it back?

Reaction score
First of all, don't touch your mac.....someone will advise you about what your options are.

If you leave your mac untouched there may be more chances to save your data...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd give this app a try:

http://www.subrosasoft.com/OSXSoftware/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Or search for a similar product.

Oh and for anyone wondering:

Warning: Boot Camp Beta is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. Do not use Boot Camp Beta in a commercial operating environment or with important data. You should back up all of your data before installing this software and regularly back up data while using the software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
moosegoose said:
I never made a restore CD and find it hard to believe that the Mac doesn't automatically create restore points or anything.

What would be the point? You would have deleted them.

Reaction score
If you really got to have your data restored take it to your nearest Apple tech and you'll have to pay.

:>Note to self......backup, backup, backup....<:

lost data is a place I've been to before and believe me it's somewhere I never want to return to, ever!

OP
M

moosegoose

Well ok...do I have to reinstall OSX and download this program before recovering my stuff? Or can I get an iso???

My entire disk is gone.

Everything. All 60gb. So do I have to reinstall OSX, download the program and then grab anything I can from the program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, you need to install this or a similar program on another computer and connect your wiped harddrive to that.

If you reinstall OS X on the wiped drive, you risk overwriting the data that's on there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you ever try Bootcamp again, DO NOT delete the Windows Partition your self. Doing that will cause your problem. Run Bootcamp and tell it to remove the partition. I know this will not get your files back, but may help in the future. Bootcamp sort of works like Partition Magic on the PC and can move and resize and zap without hurting other partitions.

Hope this helps in the future.

Reaction score
By connecting your wiped drive to another computer you can possibly recover your data using a recovery program on that other computers hard drive.

Whatever you do don't touch the contents of your 60GB drive until you connect it to another computer - hope you recover your stuff!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
moosegoose said:
I never made a restore CD and find it hard to believe that the Mac doesn't automatically create restore points or anything.

Just to clarify, it wouldn't matter if Mac OS X did have restore points (which is coming btw in Leopard...100 times better than what Windows does), if you delete your partition, you delete all the information.

Even with Windows XPs restore feature, if you delete your Windows XP partition, there's nothing the restore can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
moosegoose said:

are you serious man? even if os x did make restore points you formatted them and they would be gone. please read the instructions next time you go to install bootcam et. al. so that something doesnt go bad again

hope you can use one of the programs to get all your information back
-chris

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't think there is a free or cheap solution to your problem. If you data is that valuable, then then a company like www.drivesavers.com is your option, but they are not cheap.

OP
M

moosegoose

Alright, I have work that I NEED back on that drive. How do I connect a Macbook's hard drive to my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
moosegoose said:
Alright, I have work that I NEED back on that drive. How do I connect a Macbook's hard drive to my iMac?

You can connect a firewire cable and hold down T when you start the MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
There is a solution but it requires a lot of technical skill if you want to do it yourself. My dad accidently erased his system once and I used TASK (now known as the Sleuth Kit) to recover some of his stuff. I got back some emails, his address book, and some Word and Excel stuff. I read on their site that it supports Mac partitions, but I dont see anywhere where it specifically says HFS. So I dont know if this would work or not. :ninja:

--lifeafter2am

OP
M

moosegoose

Well, nothing worked. I had to do the dirty...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
moosegoose said:

You can use Firewire Target Disk Mode.

You'll need a firewire cable connecting your iMac to your Macbook.

With your iMac already turned on, boot up your Macbook holding down the "T" key, the Macbook's screen will show a firewire icon and your iMac should recognize your Macbook as an external Firewire Hard Drive.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.