Running Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
ok so i have firefox, and when i downloaded it, i drag/dropped it in my dock. now when i go to use if for the first time, or after i've quit it, it opens a little folder with the firefox logo in it before opening. then a firefox drive thing (im not sure what you call it) appears under on my desktop below my hard drive. i hate having things on my desktop, but the only way i can delete it is if i quit firefox. i know this is not very well explained, but hopefully someone with firefox knows what im talking about and can maybe even help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
You probably didn't install it properly. When you initially install you should drag and drop firefox into you applications folder in your Macintosh HD. Then it will actually exist on your computers HD.

Once it exists in your HD then it is installed. After you can delete all that other jive from your desktop that came with the download.

I hope this helps.

john

Reaction score
I did the SAME thing Raidar21! I found out that when you mount that image of firefox you get that icon with the arrow that points to the folder with the A on it. Its basically trying to "visually" tell you to drag the firefox icon into your applications folder . . . although It took me a while to figure it out, being a windows user! You will encounter programs that use the same representation every so often!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
yup, thanks for you help guys. i deleted all the firefox stuff and reinstalled it, and did it right this time. followed the arrow pointing me to drop the firefox logo into the application folder.

Reaction score
BushyMark said:
I did the SAME thing Raidar21! I found out that when you mount that image of firefox you get that icon with the arrow that points to the folder with the A on it. Its basically trying to "visually" tell you to drag the firefox icon into your applications folder . . . although It took me a while to figure it out, being a windows user! You will encounter programs that use the same representation every so often!

yeah. i did the same thing.

Reaction score
This covers the post installation steps:

Q. What do I do with the .dmg file (icon that looks like a piece of paper whith a drive icon in the centre) and the thing that looks like a disk drive on my desktop?

A. That thing you are looking at, in this case with firefox, is firefox's disk image.
Once you installed firefox, drag that disk image to the trash in your dock your trash will turn into an eject symbol, it will eject the file and delete it.

Then you can either save for future use or delete the firefox.dmg file by highlighting it and pressing the command + delete keys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.