Email sync

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I am intending to buy both a Mac Pro Desktop and a MacBook Pro. What ways are there to sync emails and files between the two? I have read about .mac but have seen somewhere that it does not work with Entourage and I am not sure I need the web stuff yet so I assume there must be some software out there just to sync the two macs?

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I have tried to search around for a solution other than .mac, but have not found any. I do not mind paying, but £70 per year is a bit steep for synchronising two computers and, as I understand it, the synchronising with .mac goes via the internet which seems to be completely over the top when I have both computers in front of me in my living room....

It just would surprise me if that was the only option available.

Reaction score
rogerinlondon said:
Thanks, I have tried to search around for a solution other than .mac, but have not found any. I do not mind paying, but £70 per year is a bit steep for synchronising two computers and, as I understand it, the synchronising with .mac goes via the internet which seems to be completely over the top when I have both computers in front of me in my living room....

It just would surprise me if that was the only option available.

I've been searching the web and can't find any file/mail sync software.

I found this app which offers a free evaluation period, I think it may only sync files. http://www.econtechnologies.com/site/Pages/ChronoSync/chrono_overview.html

Reaction score
can't you use just any imap compatable email account?

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
climbguy said:
can't you use just any imap compatable email account?

How would that work?

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see what you mean and the article was interesting. However, it is still not ideal since I also have a POP-mail account and there will be issues with the mailbox size on the server, I guess.

Does anyone know how .mac works? Does the syching of email and files go via the internet or can it be done directly between the machines?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
.mac

if you've a .mac account it syncs with mac mail on all
your machines, and a pop account can also be configured
in mac mail :mac:

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
brendan67 said:
if you've a .mac account it syncs with mac mail on all
your machines, and a pop account can also be configured
in mac mail :mac:

Does it work with other mail clients than mac Mail and is the sync information sent via the internet or is the connection done directly between the machines? I can not find any more details about this than they have on the Apple store website and that is really not very much.....

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have now looked around a bit more about this issue and in case someone else would like to try the same thing as me (having a desktop and a laptop with the possibility of having the mail accounts being fully syncronised between the two, including the mail folders) the answer seems to be that it is not possible.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1863693&#1863693

That is a pity....

Reaction score
This is a dodgy issue, and I'll relate my experience. The basic issue is needing an IMAP email account (rather than a POP account) -- this allows each machine to access email and get a copy of the email rather than the original. This is how corporate networks operate so you can get your email from anywhere, even simultaneously.

Most consumer accounts (AOL, earthlink, etc.) are POP accounts and cannot do this -- they were not designed considering you might want your email at multiple machines. With a POP account, however, you can set a preference in your mail program (entourage, outlook, mac mail, etc.) to get a copy of the email and leave a copy on the server for a set period of time. This way, when you access email from the other computer it will download the same email (provided it's within the time period you specified for the POP server to keep email, e.g., 30 days). The downsides to this approach are mostly (a) if you get a ton of email you might run out of space on your POP server since it's keeping everything for some period of time, and (b) you have to "manage" both your computers' in-boxes (that is, if you delete an email off of computer 1, it's still in computer 2's inbox until you delete it there as well).

The .Mac account is an IMAP email and you can set each computer up for that account and it will work as you desire. But as you noted it's not cheap. Any IMAP solution other than building your own server will be an over-the-internet solution, but there are cheaper IMAP services out there.

For me, .Mac was useful because it provided a solution for sync'g address books and calendars, but not email because we use our DSL email account and it can't be sync'd (so we use the POP solution I mentioned above). When the discounted trial period expires, however, I hope to have found another IMAP service that is cheaper.

OP
rogerinlondon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I see what you mean and how it (almost) works for you.

I am today using Outlook on a PC with several different e-mail accounts (for various reasons). I do however file those emails into one, single folder structure on my PC, meaning that mails from different accounts are filed in the same folder which makes it inconvenient to let them stay on the server (in addition to the space issue).

The ideal solution would be to designate my future (Mac Pro) desktop as a "server" in this respect and network connect my future (MacBook Pro) laptop from time to time and then sync my complete e-mails, web bookmarks and some designated file folders between the two, but that sounds like utopia (and I do not know if I could achieve that on PC's either since I have not tried)....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.