• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Caution or Windows Insanity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
I'm considering switching to a 17" MacBook Pro from a Windows box and decided to do some research about its specs. At first I was taken aback by a trend I noticed with Apple underclocking some components and using less than the best components available. For example using the T2600 rather than the T2700 processor, SigmaTel Stac9221 instead of the Stac9274, or using the X1600 GPU rather than the x1800, Mobility FireGL or better yet Quadro FX 2500M. Considering the history of complaints about the SigmaTel Stac9221 I'd especially like to see Apple switch to the Stac9274. It offers more channels and Dolby Master Studio which seems better to me for mobile productions. I'm not a gamer but do appreciate ever faster production times on the go. For the sake of humour I decided to look at what the best portable PC could do. I expected something marginally better in terms of hardware specs for less money, but wow was I surprised. I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I found the 15 pound behemoth 19" Alienware Aurora with Dual 512 MB GeForce GO 7900 and 160 GB HDD for USD $5600. I love power but this is just impractical, don't the designers at Alienware know or care what heat does to components? What's next liquid cooled notebooks with ten pound batteries? C'mon..... Maybe Apple takes things a little too cautious hardwarewise but at least I know my $4000 portable won't burn itself out in six months. It's all a matter of practical balance, with Mac OS X on its side I think the 17" MacBook Pro is the best balance I'll find for now. Perhaps an external ExpressCard audio solution could make up for the 9221? Anyone know of a good one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.