Audio input devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi guys.
Can anyone out there recommend any audio input device that will allow me to record vinyl to my hard drive. It will need to be Firewire or Usb.
I have been trying to use an iMic, but it just picks up noise from the Mac all of the time,hissing or buzzing, and ruins the recording.
I have used a grounding cable, but it's not that. If I plug the iMic in on it's own it still makes the noise! I have tried everything I can find out (Midi settings, Turning off napping etc.) But it's still there, so I need some advice.
I do not want to spend loads of money though!!
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you using the line or mic input on the iMic?

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Aptmunich said:
Are you using the line or mic input on the iMic?

The line in, as recommended.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pulse-8 said:
Don't quote me on this but iMic may need an interface when it comes to importing vinyl.

This Software http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/features.php is a free download and it may be just what you've been searching for....

Sorry to quote you, but I have this software. It's the iMic at fault. It has no screening circuit, and because I use an iMac, it picks up noise from the HD all of the time. It's useleess in other words!
Found some alternatives, but don't know if they are much better!
Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That is weird, I don't recall having this issue with my iMic, but then again I was using it with an iBook...

Maybe contact Griffin about this, they do market the iMic specifically for this purpose (amongst other things), so perhaps they can sort you out.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aptmunich said:
That is weird, I don't recall having this issue with my iMic, but then again I was using it with an iBook...

Maybe contact Griffin about this, they do market the iMic specifically for this purpose (amongst other things), so perhaps they can sort you out.

Thanks. Contacted Griffin when I started having the problem. They said that it was faulty, but as it was out of guarantee, could do nothing. I bought the new version - cheap new on ebay! - problem still exists!
I searched the net for a solution, and there is a page for upgrading the iMic, but I don't think it's worth it!
I'm selling my iMic(s) on ebay and getting something dearer! I think it's just to do with thw architecture of the iMac (Hard drive right next to the Usb ports etc.) It's the same if plugged in to the keyboard too, picks up interference every time you touch the mouse!!!
To give Griffin their due, they are immensly helpful, but just couldn't solve it.
I couldn't recommend the iMic for people using an iMac!
I'm buying an Edirol UA-1EX. If anyone has used it and has some feedback, I'd be interested to hear.

M

Michael

Please keep me posted on your progress...

... with the Edirol UA-1EX. I had great results on my PC using the UA-1D, but when I tried to get it to work on my older iMac with OS9 & OSX it wouldn't work in OS9, and no software update was available for OSX. I'm more or less out of luck with the UA-1D which was as smooth as silk connected to my Stanton turntable with a digital output. It interfaced with the USB on the PC, on which I was running Goldwave software. I'm really hoping to be able to get my iMac to work as smoothly; I've been burning my out of print LP's to CD or adding tracks from them to my iTunes library. I'd really appreciate any help or information that might make the transition from PC to Mac easier for me. Thanks!

Reaction score
so your looking to connect your turntables to ur mac ? i might have an answer im a DJ and i use both my mac and my cds and vinyl...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.