New Convert!

A

Anti-Wack

Hey everybody! I just got a MacBook Pro 17". I used to be a hardcore Windows guy and always thought Macs were for idiots that didn't know how to use a computer. Well, I was wrong. The real problem was that I didn't know how to properly use a Mac. Now I know and I'm lovin' every minute of it. However, there is one thing that I'm a little distressed about... When I'm filling out forms, specifically address forms, and I'm ready to go to the drop-down menu to select my state, I can't press the tab key to get to it and type the key corresponding to the first letter of my state to avoid having to scroll down. I end up having to take my hands off the keyboard and clicking on the dropdown menu, then typing the first letter of my state. Is there something I'm missing? This operatings system is so flawless. I can't imagine that there's no way to do this. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Hmm..Thats weird I usually do that no problem. I hope someone else can help you though.

p.s. congrats on your awesome purchase.

OP
A

Anti-Wack

So you can focus on drop downs with the tab key? When I press the tab key, it skips the drop down and goes to the next text box. I've had this problem with every Mac I've ever used, so I thought it was not unique to me... Maybe I'm just not pressing it right lol.

Thanks. It's a pretty badass machine. I'm very happy with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Check 2 settings:

1. System preferences-> Keyboard & Mouse-> Keyboard Shortcuts-> Check to see if the option 'Full keyboard access -> All controls' is enabled.

2. Next also check to see if maybe it's safari that is affecting the tabbing behaviour:
Safari->Preferences->Advanced->Universal access.

I don't have a check in the 'Press tab to highlight each item on a webpage' box, and I can navigate address fields perfectly, just the way you described.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Glad to help!

There are one or two things that I think apple might consider changing as out-of-the-box configurations... I don't really think computer newbies would notice whether this setting is on or off and windows switchers are put off because they think macs are designed for people who don't know shortcuts and keyboard commands...

OP
A

Anti-Wack

Yeah. I sure wish I knew I could change that in the preferences before. I've been using Macs for about three years now at work and that had always irritated me a lot. Apple should really look into making that a default setting. I think that would sway the opinions of a surprising amount of people. Or maybe I am blowing that out of proportion and am psychotic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.