IE and power question

Reaction score
I've just gotten a new mac but I need to be able to use internet explorer, thing is thats the only thing I need, I dont want to fork out for parallels and I want to be able to run it at the same time as osx.

any ideas?

(I need it for webdesign purposes)

Theres another question too though anyone can probably answer this. I have a macbook pro and I was wondering about the battery life? it goes down quite fast, but is it ok to just close the laptop and leave it in sleep, how long can I do this for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Why exactly do you need IE? There is practically nothing in IE that I can't also do in Safari or Firefox.

If you are designing web pages and want to check how they look in IE, there are three things I see that you can do.

One... use a Windows box if you have one just for testing purposes.

Two... get Paralells. It is the only way you are going to be able to run Windows alongside Mac OS at the same time on the same machine. Also, if this is something that you will need to do on a regular basis (ie: for daily work/job) the money on Paralells would be well spent.

Three... validate and ensure that your pages are indeed compliant with current web standards. If they are, there should be no issues (at least in theory) with how the page displays in IE.

:black:

OP
X
Reaction score
I dont need it for browsing the internet (heaven forbid!) I've got firefox for that just for checking things, I do have a windows PC but I'm going off to uni soon so I wont have access to it (besides I do my websites locally on wordpress so I couldn't access it anyway)

hmm, parallels is too expencive for just IE.

all my sites are valid but that doesn't seem to bother IE!

I suppose I could just borrow a mates PC once in a while or login to the uni PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
xhan said:
hmm, parallels is too expencive for just IE.

I suppose I could just borrow a mates PC once in a while or login to the uni PC's.
It might be a long shot, but you might want to look into the possibility of getting a student discount on Paralells. Check with your university to see what, if any, discounts are available through them.
Still using a friend's system would be a viable option as well.

xhan said:
all my sites are valid but that doesn't seem to bother IE!
... which is why I added the "(at least in theory)" part :black: ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd just invest in parallels... it really is very useful for webdesign...

Suppose you design a perfectly valid spectacular page, and go to test it on the uni's pc. It looks all messed up (duh, it's IE! :)) You now have to go back and forth trying fixes for minor adjustments and comparing them against IE's interpretation.

Only parallels really lets you do that seamlessly IMO.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.