Opening Microsoft Doc. on Mac

Reaction score
I have a question. Im going to be getting a macbook and also buying Microsoft office student edition for it. Now say i work on something on my gateway PC in word. Save it then take it to the make and open it on the mac. Will it read it and open it and work fine??? Say i make a power point on my Gateway PC and then go to work on it on the mac...if i open it will it work on the mac??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
A .doc, .ppt or .xls file is native to MS Office
You could also run OpenOffice or NeoOffice as they are able to read these files as well.
What platorm you run MS Word or an Office application on makes no difference, so long as you are running something that will read the file.

L

Logan

Don't quote me but I believe TextEdit has minor support for word (*.doc) documents. Keynote (which is probably on your MacBook just not the full version) can open powerpoint presentations, but not greatly.

These are products you could look at if you don't use MSOffice for OS X. I have a student copy (paid 15 bucks for it) of MSOffice on my box and I never run it because it isn't an universal binary yet and my intel mac mini runs it really slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It will work just fine. I trade MS-Office files between my PC and my Mac all the time. Even if you don't have MS-Office on the Mac you are OK. Get NeoOffice - it is freeware Mac OS version of OpenOffice.org, which is an MS-Office compatible suite. Quite a nice product - it has to have Microsoft a little worried!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.