• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

"Green" Apples?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I was just perusing Slashdot and read a story about the "Greenest" electronics manufacturing companies (rated by Greenpeace). Suprisingly, Dell and Nokia were rated highest and Apple was near the bottom (but still beating out Acer, Motorolla, and Lenovo). I say suprisingly because I'd thought that with Steve Jobs at the helm and the stereotype of Mac users being left leaning creative types, that Apple would be leading the pack on something like this. And being as this is coming from Greenpeace, I don't really see how anyone can claim that there would be a bais one way or the other.

The list is here:

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/electronics/how-the-companies-line-up

Anyways, I thought this was interesting and thought I'd see what everyone thought of it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Very interesting read. I wonder what the reports would look like for car manufactors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
well.. this is about how apple recycles or how 'environment friendly' apple is. If you didn't know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
Well, there was that one time in like '93 where apple (not under steve jobs) dumped a whole bunch of lisa computers in landfills instead of donating them because it would give them a better tax write-off....Or does the list only take in to account more current things?

OP
dan828
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
ShillAT said:
Well, there was that one time in like '93 where apple (not under steve jobs) dumped a whole bunch of lisa computers in landfills instead of donating them because it would give them a better tax write-off....Or does the list only take in to account more current things?

From the linked article, it looks like it is mostly about current manufacturing processes and the chemicals used, and what kind of recycling program that they have in place now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
mynameis said:
http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/select.htm

You can find some intereting stuff there, like a new V8 Mustang has a better Air Pollution score than a new Mini Cooper...

Id like to see how they calculate that and whether they are in a different class and scored against other vehicles in that class.

Id be really suprised if a V8 was better for the environment than a Mini even though a Mini isnt great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.