Emac

Reaction score
Im considering purchasing a preowned Emac G4 (800MHz) 40gig Im uprading to 512mb and it has Mac os x. What do you think is it worth $400. All im going to be using it for internet, chatting,word proccessing, music and, photos. Will it suffice its going to go right next to my windows gaming rig i just need another pc for $400 and i wanted mac so if you can find anything better in that price range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Just a thought, but for a little more you could get a new Intel Mac mini, and share your existing KB Mouse and monitor. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=Macmini

The eMac is a decent machine, and Macs tend to be usable for longer than a PC, but $400 for 800MHz versus $599 for 1.5GHz Core Solo or $799 for 1.66GHz Core Duo (dual core), it just seems like a better deal to get an Intel Mac mini to me. Of course the eMac will have its own built in monitor and KB/mouse included.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yea I was looking at the mini and that extra 200 dollars is going to kill me.

Reaction score
etomic13 said:
Im considering purchasing a preowned Emac G4 (800MHz) 40gig Im uprading to 512mb and it has Mac os x. What do you think is it worth $400. All im going to be using it for internet, chatting,word proccessing, music and, photos. Will it suffice its going to go right next to my windows gaming rig i just need another pc for $400 and i wanted mac so if you can find anything better in that price range.

Hi etomic13,

This link is worth a look at. :dive:

eMacs

Mo' eMacs

Those eMacs are sweet, I very nearly bought one myself but was lucky enough to get some extra $$ and afford a G5.

T

tuna

what disadvantages are there to the eMacs? they seem to be right in my price range and a great starter mac! I don't do advanced things.. just browse the web and edit my photographs (CS2). Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
tuna said:
what disadvantages are there to the eMacs?
Absolutely none. I had one and I loved it. I worked with Photoshop, GarageBand, Live and a few other apps on it and never had a problem.
I had a 1 Ghz eMac and only ever had 512 MB of RAM in it as well... never had any problems with it whatsoever.

OP
E
Reaction score
My main thing is will the proccessor be fast enough im using the emacs at school and they only ahve 256mb of ram and a 1.25ghz pro. but will the 800MHz perform alot slower. This Emac at school is blazing fast I was thinking maybe if I give my emac with a 300mhz slower processor more ram will it still be as fast. I've decided i might start to work with music on it and maybe start doing some flash stuff but thanks for responding so quickly.

On a side note would it beable to handle world of warcraft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
etomic13 said:
My main thing is will the proccessor be fast enough im using the emacs at school and they only ahve 256mb of ram and a 1.25ghz pro. but will the 800MHz perform alot slower. This Emac at school is blazing fast I was thinking maybe if I give my emac with a 300mhz slower processor more ram will it still be as fast. I've decided i might start to work with music on it and maybe start doing some flash stuff but thanks for responding so quickly.

On a side note would it beable to handle world of warcraft

I haven't used an 800MHz Mac, but my 1.07GHz iBook doesn't feel that slow after using my 2.0 GHz iMac. I think the eMac would work very nicely for most applications. But I don't think it will run WoW. Blizzard says it requires a 933MHz G4

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like DB said above, it will do you fine for what you want to do. The 800 will be a tad slower but it will still be pretty fast. Give it as much RAM as you can. It's a very good starter Mac. A lot better than what I started with!!

OP
E
Reaction score
hmm i heard about over clocking whats a feasible range to overclock to. I dont need WOW because I have my gaming rig but it would be nice to not have to start that windows machine all the time. And i Guess i wont notice a difference from the ones at my school (they only have 256mb of ram). Do you think if i put 512 or 1 gig mine would outperform the 1.25GHz machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.