Mac Book Pro

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I am considering to switch to a Mac Book Pro (the middle one, 2.16GHZ 1GB RAM) and I was wondering if I do music on it with Garage Band or maybe Logic Express and woking with, let's say 5 or 6 midi and 2 audio tracks, will this manchine still be able to handle that or not? Also I can imagine that 1 GB of RAM is not enough or is it? And what about the HD, wouldn't be the one with 7200rpm better for the performance?
I'd appreciate it if somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance,
Mischi001

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Yes, the MacBook Pro could MORE than handle that with GarageBand. 1 GB of RAM is plenty, it will make your system even faster. Also, I'd say go for more space (120 GB, 5400rpm) rather than a faster HD (100 GB, 7200rpm), I'd take space over speed any day when it comes to hard drives. Of course 7200 will give you faster performance, so only go with it if you don't think you'll need the 20 GBs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
That MBP (MacBook Pro, incase you see it elsewhere :)) will handle that GarageBand task without trouble, while doing other things in the background.

More RAM is always a plus, but 1GB should be sufficient. Plus, it is far cheaper to buy an extra 1GB of RAM and add it yourself later than it is to buy it direct from Apple.

I can't comment on using Logic because I have never had any experience with it.

The HD issue isn't very clear cut. The 7200 RPM will be quicker, but I doubt if you would notice it too much. Also, the extra 20GB isn't that much either. For $200, I don't think either the upgrade to 7200RPM 100GB or 5400RPM 120GB are worth it. If you really need the space, save the $200 and put it toward a nice FireWire external drive.

Reaction score
mischi001 said:
Hey everybody,
I am considering to switch to a Mac Book Pro (the middle one, 2.16GHZ 1GB RAM) and I was wondering if I do music on it with Garage Band or maybe Logic Express and woking with, let's say 5 or 6 midi and 2 audio tracks, will this manchine still be able to handle that or not? Also I can imagine that 1 GB of RAM is not enough or is it? And what about the HD, wouldn't be the one with 7200rpm better for the performance?
I'd appreciate it if somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance,
Mischi001

you'll be set.

but if i may humbly suggest, get the basic amount of ram and then go over to newegg.com or another 3rd party supplier and save TONS of money and just MAX out your RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
BlindingLights said:
Yes, the MacBook Pro could MORE than handle that with GarageBand. 1 GB of RAM is plenty, it will make your system even faster. Also, I'd say go for more space (120 GB, 5400rpm) rather than a faster HD (100 GB, 7200rpm), I'd take space over speed any day when it comes to hard drives. Of course 7200 will give you faster performance, so only go with it if you don't think you'll need the 20 GBs.

never take space over speed with audio not unless u like listening to click's and pops

i have the same model with 2gig ram and the 7200rpm Hd i would advise you to get this for audio production i have had 9 audio unit tracks running with plugin's on each of them and also about 6-8 audio tracks and the proformance isnt even half way still.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.