changing from outlook

Reaction score
I thought I would post this for some who are having trouble switching from outlook.

For my address book I used "Thunderbird". I transfered my files from outlook to there and then to the mac address book. Clean transfer.

For calendar I transfered my files from outlook to Google and then saved to my mac as an Ical and it went into the calendar just fine. I had to reassign the different colors and calendar names, but that was not too bad.

Hope this helps others.

OP
S
Reaction score
The Applenator said:
This does help.
Thanks.

One question: What did you use to transfer your e-mail to the mac?

I have several different accounts and I have them all forwarded to Gmail so I did not have to switch the email part of my life. Sorry I could not be more help in that area.

Maybe someone else will see this tell how they did it.

OP
S
Reaction score
kevin_msu said:
so that all got sorted out?

good to hear.

Thanks again for your help - still did not know what to tell the previous person about email, but some help is better than none:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Going from Outlook to Thunderbird should not too tough if you have Microsoft Office for Mac on your machine. My guess that it should be pretty easy to import Outlook PST files into Enterouge. From there, you can simply click on each mailbox and drag it out onto the desktop. Enterouge reformats the mailbox on the fly and what gets deposited on your desktop is in standard mbox format, even if it doesn't have a .mbox extension. You can now take that file and drag it into Thunderbird's Local Folders for your identity, and it will show show up as a Thunderbird box (in the box listing under Local Folders in the left pane of the Thunderbird window) as soon as you restart Thunderbird. This works because Thunderbird also uses mbox format to store its emails (although it does not append a ".mbox" extension).

I use Entourage on and off and transfer emails that come in to it over to Thunderbird (which I use as my main email client) in this way, and it works great.

If you don't have Office for Mac on your machine, there are still ways around this. You will need to find an email client that can (a) import from Outlook and (b) uses .mbox format. I believe Eudora Pro will do this, and I suspect that with a little Googling you could find more. Once you have your files in mbox format, you can just transfer them to your Mac and put them into Thunderbird's Local Folders per the above.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.