Deleted "Documents" folder! :(

L

lewistyler

I know, I'm an idiot. I'm still getting used to how Apple OS moves, links and copies stuff. needless to say, I tried to open "Preferences" for my Finder and I can't add the Documents cuz it's not listed. Any help? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Umm.. are you talking about when you open the hard drive on your desktop, the Finder window... on the left side you dont see the documents folder?

OP
L

lewistyler

Yes...all my documents are gone and that "Documents" folder is gone. It's not in teh sidebar, it's not uder "Users" or where it says my computer name and "Computer"

Long story but I accidentaly moved to trash...then emptied the trash taht have my "Documents" folder. Now the folder in the sidebar, evidence of it any on my comp AND all my docs are gone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I would just create a new User Account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Umm... god man thats not good. Umm.. I'm trying to think but I dont think there is anyting but one thing you can do. I think that there are some undelete utilities like techtool pro and such...

but im not sure. on widnows I could do it no problem, but Ive never done it on a Mac. Try techtool pro or the norton utilites.

OP
L

lewistyler

trpnmonkey41 said:
I would just create a new User Account

It would add back the Folder, but all my stuff is still gone, plus I'd have to back up then reinstall all my programs and import all my music/photos right?

OP
L

lewistyler

bishopazrael said:
Umm... god man thats not good. Umm.. I'm trying to think but I dont think there is anyting but one thing you can do. I think that there are some undelete utilities like techtool pro and such...

but im not sure. on widnows I could do it no problem, but Ive never done it on a Mac. Try techtool pro or the norton utilites.

Yeah, I'm still getting used to how Apple does things w/ the OS and I thought I copied the Documents folder after i accidentally moved it, but apparently I hadn't. I'll look into those programs, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Too bad leopad isn't out, you could use time machine to venture through space and get it all back. :D

OP
L

lewistyler

gort said:
Too bad leopad isn't out, you could use time machine to venture through space and get it all back. :D

Same thoughts exactly after watching the WWDC Keynote :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
As soon as I saw 'deleted' I was like 'YOU NEED TIME MACHINE'...sorry dude.

OP
S

Sydrocentric

Man it'd be so easy to ask a question here about Time Machine, then I'd be scolded. It'd be a bad example for the new guys.

Reaction score
Yeah yeah, time machine. I keep telling new mac users to never touch any folder that was already there (not created by them). Whether tampering with the iPhoto folder, or messing the iTunes folder up, it's always that habit of not using the app that does things for you. A windows habit.

OP
S

Sydrocentric

People touch things they arn't suppose to and 'never' should be a curse word!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is no easy way to restore you data unless you spend some money. Most of the products out there will restore your data if you have the product installed on your system before the delete. You could use someone like www.datasavers.com, but they are very expensive.

You can create a new documents folder and drag it to the sidebar. This should restore it to the sidebar.

Now for a side note, from this lesson, it is time to start making regular back ups. I learned this the hard way, when I lost a hard disk.

Reaction score
Sydrocentric said:
People touch things they arn't suppose to and 'never' should be a curse word!

That's just how mac world works, though. The Mac OS leaves the document structure of it's apps open to users because ti wants power users to still have access. But then there are people who don't understand (and I DO NOT BLAME them) the way OS X handles things and so OS X becomes vulnerable to the innocent actions of a n unknowing user. The Mac OS should by default hide these things, I never scram about the pictures folder. Of course it shold be available to access for anyone who wishes to.

Interesting discussion point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.