Shared Music

Reaction score
Today I was playing music off my iTunes library on my iMac G4. Suddenly I noticed that the library from my Powermac G5 showed up on my sources list. This has never happened before and I have not recently changed any settings.

Even more puzzling, my computers are not on a home network. I have no other way of accessing the other computer in OSX. Neither of the computers have an airport. The only way they could be connected is through an internet router. I like this new sharing functionality, but does this mean I can somehow set up a network through my internet router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Umm yea, thats what its for.

Search the forums for networking 2 macs and you should find plenty of information

Reaction score
yuriwalkiw said:
Today I was playing music off my iTunes library on my iMac G4. Suddenly I noticed that the library from my Powermac G5 showed up on my sources list. This has never happened before and I have not recently changed any settings.

Even more puzzling, my computers are not on a home network. I have no other way of accessing the other computer in OSX. Neither of the computers have an airport. The only way they could be connected is through an internet router. I like this new sharing functionality, but does this mean I can somehow set up a network through my internet router?

You can configure iTunes to share your music library which basically means you can access that library from another computer via a network.

There's a chance you have sharing enabled on the other computer.

Reaction score
i'm on a network which u have to hand in ur ethernet id to get onto it i only handed in my airport's one cos u have to pay for it by computer i put in my airports one so i could use numerious computers if needs be. my problem is that if i connect my laptop directly via cable to the network port (i can't use the internet when connected directly to the port via cable) i can see other ppls itunes music and play it but when i have my own airport running as a branch off i can't can i get the best of both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.