Buying an Apple Mac laptop to do my music on. But which one? Standard or Pro?

D

dudeiferous

Hi everyone, newbie here ;)

I am going to be making the move towards Mac within the next few weeks but I am wondering which model to get.

I am looking for a Mac laptop but Im not totally sure that a Macbook Pro is worth the extra outlay considering what I will be using it for.
I am a musician and I use lots of VSTi's, record lots of audio, use some real time modelling, sampling using programs like 'Kontakt' etc etc...
as far as I can see, the 'Pro' versions have the same processors and memory, but nicer screens and better graphics. The graphics part I am obviously not bothered about.

As for sound, I will probably be buying a seperate, pro quality outboard soundcard; but are the built in soundcards on the Mac laptops up to the job anyways?
I will probably upgrade the memory to 1gig though.

If anyone could help me make the decision between Macbook and Macbook Pro I would greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks
Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
We record our podcast on a Macbook using Amadeus II; our mics are connected to the Mac via an M-Audio MobilePre USB. The final mixdown is done with Adobe Audition running under WindowsXP in Parallels.

You can hear the results by visiting the site below. We think it works and sounds great, and we certainly didn't need the extras supplied by the MacBookPro.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
a MacBook would be fine, the Pro only offer a better vid card, well, other things, but that is one of the major reasons the price is higher, since your doing audio, you dont need the seperate vid card anyways, for audio you just want a solid cpu, 1g of ram or so, and if using large audio files, get a 7200 RPM hd for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
i run a pro tools set up using my macbook, and have never had any problems. wouldnt hurt to upgrade the ram, and thats about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.