macbook problem?

Reaction score
I bought a macbook about three weeks agao and finnally got everything transfered over. Every now and then when I go to turn the laptop on - nothing will happen. I have tried holding the button down for about three seconds and still nothing. I take the battery off and put it back on - then it will start back up but a message comes up saying "os x was unexpecedly turned off"..

Has anyone else had these problems or am I doing something wrong. I completely shutdown - so it should not have been "unexpectedly".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Saint Mark said:
I bought a macbook about three weeks agao and finnally got everything transfered over. Every now and then when I go to turn the laptop on - nothing will happen. I have tried holding the button down for about three seconds and still nothing. I take the battery off and put it back on - then it will start back up but a message comes up saying "os x was unexpecedly turned off"..

Has anyone else had these problems or am I doing something wrong. I completely shutdown - so it should not have been "unexpectedly".

You know that happened to a friend of mine recently..

She didn't have to remove the battery though, she just kept trying to turn it on until it finally did.

:shrug:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
A common mistake that new Mac owners make is to assume that nothing is happening when you hit the power button. In reality, the Mac is so quiet that sometimes it's booting but you aren't aware of it (especially if the volume is turned down and you don't hear the startup chime).

The best thing to do is to hit the power button and wait 45-60 seconds to see if it comes up. Chances are it will.

OP
S
Reaction score
caribiner23 said:
A common mistake that new Mac owners make is to assume that nothing is happening when you hit the power button. In reality, the Mac is so quiet that sometimes it's booting but you aren't aware of it (especially if the volume is turned down and you don't hear the startup chime).

The best thing to do is to hit the power button and wait 45-60 seconds to see if it comes up. Chances are it will.

Thanks for the imput !! I did think of that - although it took a couple of times for it to happen before I did. I have given it the time and the volume is turned up.

I will try to make an appointment at the apple store on Friday. Just wondering if I was the only one this has happen to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
Saint Mark,
patron of badly made macbooks! Just kidding. Hey, dont feel bad. Last week on Diggnation's podcast Kevin's macbook flipped out as well.

Odds are if you followed the advice above and nothing happened... its a bad logic board. But for shytes and giggles, do this

1. Pull the battery. Unplug the power
2. Press and HOLD the power button for 15 seconds.
3. Put battery back in.
4. Press the power button to try and turn it on.

Doesnt work still?

Try this:

5. Repeat steps 1 & 2.
6. Plug the power in and try it now.

No joy? Pack it up and take it back to apple as defective.

Sorry about your luck.
Bishop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I second bishopazrael - mine was doing odd little things like this, but it just got worse and worse until it wouldn't come on at all. New logic board later and all is hunky-dory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.