Firewire PC-to-Mac

T

TMelcher

A friend of mine has recent purchased a MacBook Pro, and is interested in transferring his old files from his PC laptop to his new Mac. That's unfortunately one of the areas of computing I know little about, so does anyone know the logistics software wise to do this? He already has a Firewire cable (and, of course, both computers have the proper ports).

OP
P

Proteus

Revised

If you he has BootCamp on his new Mac, he should format his Windows Partiton in FAT32 then he can boot into windows, go to control pannel and he should see something in there about setting a default OS to boot to. Somewhere in there, is something about using your mac in "target disk mode".

You have to make sure that you have enough space on the FAT drive to allow for all of your files and settings to transfer. Also, after the data is transfered, you should be able to see the Windows Partiton of your HD on the Desktop of you new Mac. Drag, drop, and undo BootCamp if you like. The PC see's the Mac as an external HD. You need to make sure the PC as well as the Mac isn't running any other Firewire devices.

Also, search "help" at the top menu bar of your mac and search "target disk mode". It will say that the other computer has to be a Mac, but I don't think that it does so long as both computers can see each other.

The reason that you do it from Windows XP in BootCamp is that your other computer has to see the FAT32 Drive. ALL OS's recognize the FAT file system.

OP
T

TMelcher

Thanks so much. For some reason, I can't see a button that lets me boost reputation. I was given negative rep by one person for creating a thread with loose similarities to an older thread, so perhaps that's driven me down below a point where I can deal out rep of my own?

We all make mistakes in our newbishness. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
TMelcher said:
Thanks so much. For some reason, I can't see a button that lets me boost reputation. I was given negative rep by one person for creating a thread with loose similarities to an older thread, so perhaps that's driven me down below a point where I can deal out rep of my own?

We all make mistakes in our newbishness. :rolleyes:

Hey, no sweat. Granted, there are some pretty small people floating around on this forum. It happens. I'm sure I'll get a negative remark about this as well, just confirming that some people here need to get a life.

Aside from that, dont worry about the feedback system. You learn pretty quick who here is here to learn, who's here to help and who's here to be the 4th Stooge.

Personally I could care less what people think of me, usually because I'm right and they're ..... whatever they want to call it.... NOT right, misunderstood, blah blah blah. One guy actually said I was "talking crap all across the forum"

Yeah. I'm actually one of the ONLY PC techs here STILL giving help. (let me qualify that by saying I'm an actual tech who gets PAID to be a tech. Others here say they're techs, but its only in their fantasy land...or their mom's basement... lots of advice being thrown around that really isnt good for real world solutions..its just stuff they're thrown around in their minds or bedrooms.) A few were here before, but my understanding is that the snobishness of the forum members drove them off. I know, I've talked to a few. And I get it myself.

Anyways, this is a pretty good forum to get some good info. Just a quick hint, lots of these guys here are SEARCH police. If you dont preface a post with a long pre-amble that says... "I searched from here to Mesapatomia and still couldnt find it..." they're bound to tell you to use the search button. So be kind to yourself and use the search first.

Aside from that, dont ever look at your profile. I dont. Who cares? I get enough email from my blog and website from people who tell me they're grateful for my free help (yes, I run a PC repair company, yes I charge my customers, and yes, I give out free help via my site and this forum). Sad thing is, people here are running from the XP platform, but still suffer from the delusion that they're THE person to ask. Whatever. Just dont let the small minded people enjoy your fun. Come here, browse, post, whatever. Its not like you get a free set of steak knives if you're the Member of the Month.

Good luck. My PM box and email is always open.
Bishop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.