Web Browser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,
i recently switched to mac, and i am loving every moment of it.
but the fact remains that i spend the majority of my time on the internet, researching, using my web apps, and consuming a large portion of my daily media intake.
so you can see that it is my "mission critical application".
I care about 4 things,
standards compliant, fast, free, great bookmark manager

I love safari, i think that it is perfect in every way except with bookmarks.
you cant bookmark all tabs at once, you cant put breaks into booksmark folders, etc.
you also cant rearrange tabs.
but it is fast.

i am currently running firefox, and im hating it. I dont use the extensions, i am not reliant on them. but i am reliant on their superior bookmark features.
i have thousands that i need. and it allows me to manipulate them how i wish.
in windows, firefox is awsome compared to anything else, but in mac, it sucks, it always crashes, or has memory leaks. there are so many better options (shiira, safari, camino), but i am reliant on the bookmark manager.

i think the perfect browser would be Firfox usability and bookmark features, safari's native cocoa interface, and opera standards compliance.

Is there anything out their like that for OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
The ones you mentioned are pretty much it. I use Firefox 98% of the time. If something doesnt load correctly i go to Safari.

Reaction score
You can manage the bookmarks in Camino..I've been using it more and more. But for me, Firefox is poses no problems. It's not quite as fast as Camino, but it never crashes on me. Actually, there is this one time that both Firefox and Camino kept freezing and I had to kill them serveral times. After some troubleshooting I found that one particular web page with javascript was the cause. I keep javascript enabled and I know I hit a bunch of sites that use it, so it was something about that particular code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I can't say that firefox crashes for me either..

P

Proteus

I use Netscap Navigator and it does okay by me, but I prefer Safari. I've been able to organize my bookmarks into folders with Safari, I just don't care for it's media integration and how WMP has to load outside of the browser... anyone got a fix for that?

Reaction score
I didn't know firefox's features were any different in OS X than in Windows.

By the way, your sig is way too large. Please read the forum rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
Firefox hasn't given me any problems with memory leaks or crashing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Try opera...i'm not sure if the bookmark function is what you're looking for however...its worth try

Reaction score
I know this may be sorta off topic--but has anyone ran across any material pertaining to changes in Safari that we can expect to see in Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
youthpastor said:
I know this may be sorta off topic--but has anyone ran across any material pertaining to changes in Safari that we can expect to see in Leopard?

yeah... one or 2 things ;) Unfortunatly I signed an NDA while working for this guy thats got it. But suffice to say that Safari will be seeing some pretty impressive .... tweaks in 10.5.

One thing I know I can put out there is that they ...moved... copied... the RSS from Safari and put it into Mail. Personally that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.. but oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Instead of using Firefox on Mac try Camino.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
If I have a problem on one I just use the next one
Safari --> Camino --> Firefox

Reaction score
Firefox crashed on me a couple of weeks ago, and I had no idea why because it was solid as a rock. So I ran a permissions fix as a magic incantation, and two were repaired. Whether they had anything to do with the crash is anyone's guess, but it hasn't gone down since.

I have about 20 extensions running with Firefox, and they don't give me any problems, either. The last Firefox update went smooth as butter.

I depend on the bookmarks, too, but not for the same reason — OS 9. I'm still running it in a partition on my G4 because I never updated Quark past 4.11. Firefox and Mozilla 3.1 use the same bookmarks file, so I wrote a couple of AppleScripts that drag them back and forth. If Firefox changes its bookmarks structure, I'm doomed. :)

On the other hand, I could tell people I had to buy an Intel Mac and pay zillions to update Quark because Firefox changed the bookmarks file. Sorta like buying a new car when the ashtray's full.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 1.83ghz MBP/ 1.5gbRAM/ 250gb ext hdd/ 19" external display/ MX Laser mouse/ Sony w810 cell/
On the other hand, I could tell people I had to buy an Intel Mac and pay zillions to update Quark because Firefox changed the bookmarks file. Sorta like buying a new car when the ashtray's full.

Now that right der's funny!

Reaction score
I like firefox and I'll tell you why.

1. I can download a interface the mimics the safari interface PERFECTLY with minor differences.

2. My extensions: Foxmarks, allows me to designate one of my computer as the upload or source and it will automatically upload my bookmarks and when I connect with another computer set as a destination, it auto syncs my bookmarks to that computer. And I can do this between my windows and mac computers.

3: Kaboodle extensions....I couldn't live without this program, I see so much crap I want on the net everyday that keeping track of it is a pain in the *** :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
I have been using Firefox 2 beta for the last few weeks; and it works perfectly for me!

T

todd51

I like Camino...it's Firefox built for the Mac. Nice and simple and it doesn't use a lot of resources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Proteus said:
I use Netscap Navigator and it does okay by me, but I prefer Safari. I've been able to organize my bookmarks into folders with Safari, I just don't care for it's media integration and how WMP has to load outside of the browser... anyone got a fix for that?

Try the Flip4Mac plugin. Its free.

Reaction score
I use Opera on Windows and Linux but on my mac I use Firefox or Safari. I keep my bookmarks backed up in an html file that I keep on my ISP user website and another copy on my own website. I do sometimes remember to update the version on the USB drive but more often than not, you don't need bookmarks unless you have web access anyway. I simply keep the page open in one of the tabs if I'm working and need the references. That way I can access my bookmarks from work, my mother's house, when travelling interstate, on my work laptop, anywhere really and it doesn't matter which OS I'm using or where I am. I can also modify the html if I want to change something or add something or re-arrange things.

I have a huge collection of bookmarks that date back years and years (it is kept up to date by removing dead links etc.). Many of them to do with malware removal and Windows fixes which are my hobby. As an html file it can be re-imported into any machine that's been upgraded or "trashed" and I always have my collection available. Mightn't be the answer to your problem but it's kept me sane many times when I've been visiting and their computer just happens to need fixing and I don't have any of my stuff with me :)

Would http://del.icio.us/ be another yet another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.