connecting to a PC with an ethernet cable

B

bensonju

I am trying to transfer large files from my old PC to my new MacBook with an ethernet cable. I've been able to set up a network connection up to the point where I am asked for the workgroup/domain, name, and password in a window titled "SMB/CIFS File System Authentication." I know the workgroup and name, but I've used every password I can think of and still get an error message that says "The operation canot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (Error code -43)." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Is there another way I can connect to transfer large files? They are too big for e-mail or a CD.

Also, I'm new to this forum. If there's a better place I should be posting this, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Ghz MacbookPro, 1GB RAM, Radeon X1600, 100GB Hard Disk
Have you tried a blank user/pass? Most Windows SMB networks are unauthenticated by default.

OP
P

Proteus

Use whatever Username and Password you have set up on your Windows Box. If you don't have a username/password set up in XP, then you may have to create a new user account and set it up with a password. Then loggin to that account in Windows BEFORE you try to connect with SMB.

Tip... to get the workgroup name, right click "my computer" on your windows box, click "properties", "computer name" and you should see the workgroup name there.

Reaction score
If you have a Firewall running on your PC, check that it's allowing the Mac to connect.
You may need to add the IP address of your Mac to the "allow" section of your Firewall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.