• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New Mac forum member...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
Greetings everyone!

I just now searched for an Apple-Mac forum and found this one. It looks like the best one. I don't have an Apple computer yet, but I'm trying to find one to test drive and see if I'll like it. I liked RedHat, but it seems like XP won't let Linux install.

I don't like Windows anymore. It acts up, even if I never go online. It won't let you do this, it won't let you do that. It says I have no authority to delete this file or that file. It really gets on my nerves. And of course, if I go online, things gets worse, even if the Windows computer is brand new. :eek:

So, so far, there are no stores in my area that sell Apples. The store employees and even their technicians tell me that none of the stores anywhere around here sell Apples,`cos no one likes Apple, that Windows is better and if I want one, I'd have to order it from the Apple site. They tell me that I won't like Apple either.

Well, I was hoping I don't have to order one from the Apple site,`cos what if I don't like it, (and I think I will though) but what if I don't? I may never get the Apple sold and I don't guess Apple will refund computers. So I'm wondering how in the world does someone test a Mac OS if no one carries them and they have no friends or family that own any to test it?

I've heard Mac has better graphics than Windows, and I've also heard that's not true. I've heard Mac gets much less viruses than Windows, and I've heard that's not true either. I've heard Mac is as fast as Windows, and I've heard Mac is slow as cold oil. So I dunno,`cos I can't test one for myself. lol Tell me, how good is a Mac OS? :mac:

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Welcome to mac-forums, glad you chose us :) we have alot of information for you here!

Apple has something called Core Image as well as a whole list of Technical Specifications. You can read up on Core Image and decide for yourself which is better, x or xp :)

There is a possibility you will get a virus, though I believe only one of us has caught one on their mac BenjaminDaines, and it was not bad at all. He is doing fine and I would bet 99% of us do not have virus protection. The fact is that apple is not a large target for virus writers... so I would be skeptical if apple has more than 2 malwares.

MacPro is definitely not a slow machine.

But honestly, the only way you will ever know is to try out one yourself, and research it yourself. Some people honestly belong on windows, some people belong on mac. You sound like your ready to test the water :)

watch the WWDC

OP
Macropolis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
Thank you!

I was told yesterday, (Friday) that BestBuy is going to start carrying Apple's by December. So now I'll have to wait 4 months to test-drive any of the Apple models. I just spent about $1300 on a Nikon SLR camera system. I would like to get the Mac Pro, but starting at $2500, I don't see it happening anytime soon, so I'm looking at their Mini Macs, starting at $599.

But, I'm wondering this, since the Mini Macs have nothing more to offer than a hard-drive of 80gigs@5400rpm's, can anything bigger and faster, like a 120gig/7200rpm be installed, or are we stuck with just the 80/5400?

And I have a $340 LCD monitor. Will it work with the Mini Mac or the Mac Pro, or do I have to get an Apple monitor?

Thanks!
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
As far as the Mac Mini goes.. I believe it is upgradable as far as the hard drive goes.. Alternatively, you could just pick up a cheap USB/firewall external hard drive and just attatch it that way for extra storage. They are usually pretty cheap... Also, you should be able to use any kind of monitor with your Mac as long as you have the proper adapter if need-be. I use a 19" BenQ on my Powermac and it works great.

OP
Macropolis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
punkr0x0r said:
As far as the Mac Mini goes.. I believe it is upgradable as far as the hard drive goes.. Alternatively, you could just pick up a cheap USB/firewall external hard drive and just attatch it that way for extra storage. They are usually pretty cheap... Also, you should be able to use any kind of monitor with your Mac as long as you have the proper adapter if need-be. I use a 19" BenQ on my Powermac and it works great.

The monitor I have now is a new 17in Samsung SyncMaster 730b. It looks like it would work with the Mac Mini, but I won't know for sure yet. I still have to wait 3 more months until they appear at BestBuy. Now, I'm also hoping that my Nikon D50 will work with Mac.
icon9.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Macropolis said:
Now, I'm also hoping that my Nikon D50 will work with Mac.
icon9.gif
Of course it will. There really is no reason why it wouldn't. Just plug it in and you are good to go!

:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
I got a macbook pro sometime in June. I havent touched my Windows rig since - and its no slouch. Intel P4 3.14 GHz HT processor, 2 gigs corsair memory, 160gig 7200 hdd, GIGABYTE mobo, Zalman heatsink, GeForce 7800 GT, Audigy 5.1 surround sound, etc. Just the other day did I install Windows on my Mac. I got around to playing CS:S on my windows partition and was amazed (yet not so surprised) that it plays EVERY bit as good on my Macbook Pro than it does on my windows rig.

So, do I think macs are slow? HECK NO! Do I love my mac? HECK YEA! Had I ever used a mac before I got my macbook? Not really. I used a friends ibook, and a friends G5 for an hour or so. Thats about as much experience as ive had with a mac before this. Only reason to have windows on my mac is for CS:S and FFXI when im up for it. Make the switch! Even if you SOMEHOW dont end up liking it, Im sure someone will snatch it up off you on ebay. People always end up paying retail for stuff like this on auction sites anyways :)

OP
Macropolis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
Mister-Twoster said:
Just the other day did I install Windows on my Mac. I got around to playing CS:S on my windows partition and was amazed (yet not so surprised) that it plays EVERY bit as good on my Macbook Pro than it does on my windows rig.

I was wondering, (since I don't know everything, or even a lot about either Macs or PCs) would'nt having a computer running both Mac and Windows be risky? I mean, if Windows catches a virus, wouldn't it affect Mac, too - and mess up the motherboard, like I've heard has happened to Windows based computers?

Another thing I was wondering, now that I know that I can get more storage for the MM (Mac Mini) - since it appears to only come with one CD-ROM drive, does Apple make external CD-ROM drives that we can connect to the MM? I haven't been able to find any on their site.

Thanks!
icon7.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know, no. Your OS X partition would be unnaftected. When youre in Windows (on your Mac), your OS X partition is invisible. So even if you were to get a virus in Windows, youd still have OS X to boot up on and delete the infected partition. Thats as far as HDD's go. As for the motherboard, I dont know. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
OP
Macropolis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
Last night, I read that the Mac Mini has terrible graphics.
icon9.gif
But the review was on a 2005 website. Has the MM's graphics improved since then to be as good as my PC is? My PC has really nice vivid colors and really sharp clarity. I'd hate to downgrade my graphics from something that looks great to something that looks bad, or decent.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The graphics card just isn't great for gaming... your regular apps and the operating will look brilliant though. (The graphics card has little influence on the colour reproduction of a computer, the monitor plays a larger role in that department).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, graphics cards usually only need to be high-end for gaming. It wont determine how sharp everything looks though.

OP
Macropolis
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one yet.
That's all good then,`cos I don't play games on the comp - they take that much more space and slow it down even more. If or when I like to play games, that's where my 27in tv comes in, but I need a Sony PS2 first. But before that, I want an Apple/Mac comp.
icon10.gif
Well, that's great - that all my pictures and such will look sharp and vivid. Thanks again!
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.