Text editor for coding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
Can anyone reccomend a decent text editor for writing HTML/PHP scripts on a MAC? On Windows I used to use Editplus, which was perfect for me. It had all the features I look for in a decent text editor. First of all, it was quite simple, not bursting with features that slow it down. It had line numbering on the side. It had syntax highlighting. And my faviourite feature of all was the Localised FTP function. You can connect to an FTP site as if it was a local folder. Whenever you hit “Save,” the file is FTPed out.

Does a similar program exist for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
BBEdit is probably what you are looking for. My personal favourite is Textmate. It doesn't have ftp capabilities though.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just checked, TextWrangler is also very much liked around here. It does have an FTP save function so it might do what you need and it's free last time I checked.

OP
Verted
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Core Duo, White, 512mb RAM
Thanks! BBEdit looks really good ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.