Updating OSX?

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15.4", 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD
Haaylooo!

So, i keep posting on here with long winded questions, and im sure you all hate me! haha

anyway - i was wondering what i can expect from a software update in OSX on my MacBook Pro? I had bad experiences with Windows SP2 on my PC, where it distrupted my whole system and installed programs.

So, basically what i'm wondering is - what i can expect from the update before i do it? such as - download/update time, what the update will actually do, and whether it's worth me doing it, as i actually have only had my Mac for about a week...?

Thanks again! This forum is ACE!

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
MJC said:
So, basically what i'm wondering is - what i can expect from the update before i do it? such as - download/update time, what the update will actually do, and whether it's worth me doing it, as i actually have only had my Mac for about a week...? Thanks again! This forum is ACE!
MJC

I had same concern with my new iMac two months ago -- after 3 years PC/XP experience. Just went ahead and did it on faith. With my cable it was easy, fast, no-brainer. I wouldn't anticipate any trouble at all with your machine. Can't tell you exactly what it does but it does do it quickly and smoothly.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same concerns. But this usually shouldn't cause trouble. If your paranoid, and don't have problems til date, then don't update if your comfortable that way. But you might missing some features, or other goodies. Compatibility would become an issue eventually.

A very small percentage has trouble with updates. You might want to check www.macintouch.com for any reprots on any apple release (new product, new OS, update, patch, ipod...)

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot!

i'll take a look at that link now ;) cheers!

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I disagree with yogi on this. Apple updates are not just for features and goodies. Like in Windows, it also releases security fixes for known vulnerabilities, bug fixes. Therefore it is recommended to keep your system uptodate. If you are concern about distruptions(which is VERY rare) wait a day or two and checkout in forums for what others have to say.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, a lot of the updates are very important and should always be installed. I have never had a problem as yet. But like Novice said, wait a couple of days and even check here to see if there is a problem.

OP
MJC

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant! Thanks.

And how long do updates usually take? i havent got the time at the moment to do this as i gotta hit the hay ready for work tomorrow. Althought, if the update wont take very long then i can do this tomorrow.

Also, any1 had any problems with the new update - 10.4.7?

MJC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
It depends on how many and your connection speed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the speed of your Internet? DSL? Cable?

It will not take that long with High Speed Internet. I have had no problems with 10.4.7 as yet on G4, G5 and Intel Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
No problems as of yet with 10.4.7, It is running on 2 powerbooks, ibook, and powermac quad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
It will take a bit longer on a new machine to get all of the updates from when the machine was made. After that it will be a matter of seconds to minutes, depending on the size and your connection.

When I got my iMac it had 10.4.0 and I have updated once a week, and never had a problem. The only issue I seem to recall is that one of the updates disabled 64 bit something or other, but it didn't affect me at all. I think that one was mainly hurting developers and professionals, and a update to fix it was out very promptly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.