• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do macs really need a third party virus checker?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
bushconfused21auz6.jpg

I have a MBP, and i saw a norton anti virus for the mac in PC world.

Are macs fine without a virus checker? Are third party companies just trying to cash in? Why else would they release a virus checker for Mac?

Is it worth getting one in the future? or is the built in one for macs just fine?

Also, what about firewalls? do we need to get third party software? or is the MBP's own firewall setting just fine?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I feel macs do not NEED a virus checker or a firewall. but if you want a virus checker i suggest going with clamxav and for the firewall just turn the built in firewall on. many have said it is strong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
There is no built in virus scanner on the mac, only a built in firewall. I recomend you enable the firewall if you have not done so already.

As for virus scanners, you do not neccessarily need one now on the mac, unless you are running windows on the mac aswell, and if you are also running windows computers on your network. As your mac can not get infected with viruses, they can pass them on. So its a nice thing to do for the pc users you connect with, and share files with, to detect the virues and erase them before passing them on.

Even though mac os x does not have virues now, that is not to say that virues will not be here in the future, and for that reason it is also a good idea to have a virus scanner on your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Firewall, I say yes. People can still get your personal information from a mac by simple whois type commands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the reason to use a virus checker on a mac is if it is networked with a pc in some way. the reason is that macs have the ability to hold and transfer a virus to another machine and having antivirus will remove viruses from your mac and prevent the transfer of these viruses to your PC.

so no, 3rd party apps are not simply trying to make a buck but some there is always the ability for people to begin creating viruses for os x and then there will be mroe of a reason to have anti-virus programs

regarding firewall, i suggest a small tweak to the firewall to make it stronger than the default settings but in general it is perfectly fine.

-chris

OP
SpliCer261
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 3.06 GHz, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, 500GB SATA hard drive, 8gb iPhone
Thanks guys, appreciate all the response, cleared things up for me.. I've got a virus checker on the windows partition..so it's cool.

S

Sydrocentric

No virus scanner for apple. Everyone else answered you correctly, why would I answer the same thing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.