Why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Very simple.. why did you switch or first come across Macintosh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 17" 1.67 gHz, 2GB RAM 60GB ipod Video,iPod Shuffle, MacPro 2.33 5GB RAM,1.5TB 2x20" :o)
To prove a friend wrong that these 'Macs' wernt better that windows....5 years later here I am.....poor misguided fool!

Ha

Good Question :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo, 512MB RAM, OS X 10.4.7
BlooGrape said:

I am trying Mac OS (Tiger) for the first time because my AmigaOne-XE G4 system running Amiga OS4.0 seems to have died and is away for testing/repair.

As there are no Amiga computers currently available I decided to buy a Mac mini Intel duo to tide me over because I had the impression that Mac OS and AmigaOS had similar philosophies. I like the way that, like AmigaOS, I retain control of what, and where, I install programs on my system and can easily un-install without screwing up registries etc.

And of course UAE (Amiga emulator) runs nicely on the Mac mini :)

S

Sydrocentric

redmelons said:
I am trying Mac OS (Tiger) for the first time because my AmigaOne-XE G4 system running Amiga OS4.0 seems to have died and is away for testing/repair.

As there are no Amiga computers currently available I decided to buy a Mac mini Intel duo to tide me over because I had the impression that Mac OS and AmigaOS had similar philosophies. I like the way that, like AmigaOS, I retain control of what, and where, I install programs on my system and can easily un-install without screwing up registries etc.

And of course UAE (Amiga emulator) runs nicely on the Mac mini :)
Finally someone who doesn't worship bootcamp!

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
To satisfy my curiosity.
Oh and because I was peeved with all the crashing/viruses etc with XP.

S

Sydrocentric

I forgot to add why I switched. to Think Different. yea, I know so original!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I was attracted to the FreeBSD underpinnings so that I could have a great laptop to do shell scripting and coding on. I tried Linux on laptops quite a few times (been using Linux for a long time), but was not happy about quite a few things. Since I started using FreeBSD about 3 years ago, the next logical step for a laptop was OSX. It's been great- it's easy enough for my wife to use and has a lot of development tools thrown in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
My main reason for switching was for video editing. I want to be able to capture as much video and still pics of my son as i can and trying to edit with a PC is no picnic. Once i made the switch it was like a whole new world. Not only did I get video and picture editing but I got Spotlight, widgets, great entertainment computer and most of all a stable OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
i never switched...i was born into a mac family.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
Its something different from the everyday use of Windows computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
My bro is a graphic designer and uses mac's daily in his work. After playing with some of his machines for a few hours I decided I really wanted to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Fully integrated color management. If you do graphics heavily, this is a KILLER feature that Windows and Linux just don't have.

Then add to that the fact that Mac OS X rides on top of a version of FreeBSD - hence all of your favorite open source apps work great too. Mac OS X is like two systems rolled into one. I was using Linux heavily at the time I switched, and this was also a compelling feature.

For me though, the key was the integrated color management.

PLUS of course, I was *so* sick of dealing with all the troubles Windows imposes that I was ready for a move.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
BlooGrape said:

Constant maintenance requirements of ALL windows versions. Bugs and registry glitches and lack of support. What a pain! After 8 weeks, I'm very impressed with OS X and the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i switched over because i felt that i was able to create forum topics that accurately represented the content of the post.

i also switched because i felt it was better for video editing at the time. turned out that i quickly ditched my dell and never looked back
-chris

Reaction score
i've always loved the mac OS.

for over ten years.

but you have to use windows for... well. you know.

everything.

bootcamp crossed the bridge for me. but parallels is what i use.

now that i have two gb's of ram, i'm good to go for just about anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
mine was about 3 years ago, I ended up going to school in Colorado and my roommate had one, i played the "how can you use this???" "where is the right click button" "this never works" all that BS, and when I ended up coming back home, I wanted to give one a shot and went for an ibook, a mini, then back to ibook, then a G5 and now a macbook later along with maybe 5 different ipods, here we are!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
what did your room mate say when he saw you bought one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I was drawn to the UNIX underpinnings. I like the UI philosophy of OS X, and the way things behave. I'll also admit that I was drawn to the beauty of the UI (IE, 'Eye Candy').

Now with BootCamp and Parallels, when I begin the Comp/Sci portion of my studies next year, I can just get a new Mac and switch to Windows when I have to.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Sep 09, 2.66Ghz C2D, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb HDD 7200rpm, 10.6.x / iPod Touch 8Gb
Some interesting posts there...

Born into mac is the best yet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Its amazing how many people have switched. I heard somewhere that Apple owns 14% of the laptop market?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.