help with aim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
help with aim edit: new question?

Just got my macbook today... loving it so far. it hasn't been too difficult of a transition, but after having lugged around 17inch laptops before, the 13.3 in moniter is a bit smaller. "its not the size that matters..."

anyway, ive been trying to download AIM for my laptop, i go to aim.com and it downloads a .bin program, which quicktime then cannot run. i even created a new screen name, but then it tries to download trillion or whatever its called, and to the best of my knowledge that is a windows program.

so how do i download regular *** AIM? please help... thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
Use iChat. It's much nicer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
is the extension .BIN? If so, you need to get the free Stuffit Expander to unarchive the .BIN file. You can find Stuffit Expander on Version Tracker.

You might try iChat as it works with AOL Instant Messenger just fine. AIM for OSX is not the most stable program and many complain it about it always loosing connection.

Hope that helps you out.

...Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If I were you I would download adium www.adiumx.com It is a aim client that is really easy to use, and works with aim reall well. I use to use aim on my computer but after switching to adium you will never look back. Majority of the people on these forums use aidum too..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you just want to talk to people on aim use iChat, AIM for mac is horrendous. In iChat you can make it more like aim by going to View and changing it to show names, or names and icons, no bubbles whatever you want. If you dont like iChat, you can use AdiumX, www.adiumx.com, its another popular IM client.

If you must have aim here is their ftp download link: ftp://ftp.newaol.com/aimgen/73010/InstallAIM4.7.bin

hope this helps.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
ok cool, so i just started using AIM through iChat, seems to work fine... only question is, and i know its miniscule, how do i re-arrange the order of my buddy list? right now its alphabetized, and i dont want AIM bots at the top, i.e. how do i reorder the buddy groups? thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
raidair21 said:
ok cool, so i just started using AIM through iChat, seems to work fine... only question is, and i know its miniscule, how do i re-arrange the order of my buddy list? right now its alphabetized, and i dont want AIM bots at the top, i.e. how do i reorder the buddy groups? thanks for the help!
in the View menu you can sort by Availability, first name, and last name. I don't know as there is a way to change the order beyond that, perhaps with one of the 3rd party iChat enhancing apps but I'm not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
raidair21 said:

Re ordering buddy groups was a pain, and i was not able to truly find a method. Simplest way around this is to add the number of priority in front of their name.

ie:
"1. Friends from home"
"2. Friends from school"
"3. Friends from work"

etc...

by adding that number in front of their names its a pretty indiscrete way of "re-alphabetizing" them.

Ps: i really recommend Ichat. Especially if you are rockin the new macbook, Ichat makes Video chatting totally easy. Adium is popular also but I personally did not enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Wow I just switched from AIM to Adium and I am loving it so far. I like the sounds. Lol.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
i was thinkin id have to number them... thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
digital john said:
Wow I just switched from AIM to Adium and I am loving it so far. I like the sounds. Lol.

I hate the sounds, glad to know somebody likes them :). Just incase you get sick on the sounds you are able to change them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
I turn them off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
PowerBookG4 said:
I hate the sounds, glad to know somebody likes them :). Just incase you get sick on the sounds you are able to change them.

Yea I got sick of them and now I turned them off. ;]

Reaction score
raidair21 said:
Just got my macbook today... loving it so far. it hasn't been too difficult of a transition, but after having lugged around 17inch laptops before, the 13.3 in moniter is a bit smaller. "its not the size that matters..."

anyway, ive been trying to download AIM for my laptop, i go to aim.com and it downloads a .bin program, which quicktime then cannot run. i even created a new screen name, but then it tries to download trillion or whatever its called, and to the best of my knowledge that is a windows program.

so how do i download regular *** AIM? please help... thank you!

make sure its for mac.

and you might need "stuff it" expander.
but honestly, get ADIUM.

check the sticky for a link. adium will run all your chat progs at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I loved Adium, but it's inability to handle file transfers over AIM made me go back to iChat.

But finally, Adium (beta) is working with transfers, and I have been using the betas from 1.0b2 and now on 1.0b8 and it is working flawlessly. I set my buddy list to the lowest opacity, and make it the lowest level window, so it appears that my list is part of the background, and it doesn't move when invoking expose.

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with putting AIM Screenname on Adium, I really like adium but i cant load my aim account on it. Do I have to have AIM installed on my computer for Adiu to accept it? Need Help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.