I never loved a computer before... until i switched!

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Apple MacBook,
my first mac after 3 years of planning, learning, waiting, anticipating, procrantinating, etc...
And its truley bittersweet.
Sweet because i love it
Bitter because i regret not doing it sooner.
I always had a disgruntled relationship with PCs.
I never liked a PC, they were just there to get my work done, and take 10% of my life away from reparing and maintaing it.
I had some really horrible experiences with PCs and Linux on the client side.
I truley beleive that it has taken some years off my life.

But Macs are seriously kick ***. for lack of a better description.
The hardware is carefully chosen and innovativly assembled.
The software and hardware are elegantly fused together, and not slaped on as an after thought like PCs.

The hardware is beautiful because it is intelligently put together. They dont cut cost, they get quality parts.

But the clincher is the software. Mac OS X is the best OS i have ever used in my life, period. It is completly logical, no registry, no dll, no bullshit
documents and settings, or program files, etc..
everything is simple. It is the most user friendly, and logical OS on the market.
The fact that you want to lick the screen i dont need to go into, it goes without saying.
But whats amazing is that its Unix Varient. I can go down to the BSD level, mess around with darwin, run X11 apps, etc.
I can compile (some) linux apps in mac os x.

More or less, the entire platform is perfect. Hardware, OS, Software, Services (.Mac), even the Mac OS X Server is cool.

I feel that Apple should never get more than 10% market share. Because anymore, they wont be able to pull of some of the stuff they do. Imagine Microsoft trying to get Windows to stop running on x86 and they wanted to switch to PPC or SPARC or something else. Impossible, and it would be suicide. Apple is a great company because they were able to keep their startup spirit that most aging succesful companies lose. They are like a 30 year old Google.

Anyone who can switch to mac, but doesnt is a masocist.

-----

Not to sound like a Fanboy here (no offense)
i want to say that Macs do have a few problems.
The usual new product jitters (heating,whining,logic board mess up,etc) [i havnt had those]
Their hardware for their lower consumer models is a little bit over priced. but the higher you get in the specs, the more it becomes level, or even a bargain.
The other problem, and the biggest one in my mind is that the Apple Mac solution isnt complete. It will take 1 or 2 more years, but apple is still trying to "fill the shoes, before it can start walking" situation. They have a 2 apps suites to complete. They need to dramatically upgrade OS X with more innovaive features (complete 64bit, and a beter development enviornment). They need to complete other hardware transitions, 64 bit chips, bluray, new monitors, core 2 duo, a macbook mini to fill out the portable line.
They also need to seriously rework .Mac, i think they can do a lot with it, i will share my views on that in another posting.

But the most important thing is that i love my computer, there is a 1st time for everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Nice read. This is definitely what Apple would love to hear from the switchers.

I do agree with you about the .Mac. It seriously need a facelift.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.