Can I turn off the MacBook start-up sound?

L

lewistyler

Sometimes before I shut-down I'll forget to mute my speakers, then when I'm in the library and I turn my macbook on, the sound disturbs people. I couldn't find anything in System Pref. that would allow me to disable the start up sound. Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You want to hear that when you start up. It tells you that everything is A-OK with your Mac. If you don't have it muted and you don't hear it...well that isn't so good.

OP
T

todd51

I wouldn't know the solution to muting the sound, but I do have an alternate which I use. What I do is make sure it has a bit of a charge, turn it on BEFORE I go to the library, and let it sleep as I take it there in my carry-case. Then if I need to plug it in, I can at the library or run it off of the battery. Simple as that!

OP
L

lewistyler

D3v1L80Y said:
You want to hear that when you start up. It tells you that everything is A-OK with your Mac. If you don't have it muted and you don't hear it...well that isn't so good.

So I guess that's the equivalent to the start up BEEP you get on a PC? Guess I'll just sleep it before the library if I can. Carrying it around and having it move around a bit in my backpack won't hurt it when it is sleeping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I never turn my powerbook off even when I'm transporting it. It's been fine since 2004 so I think you are ok doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.